Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sour economy = tough times for pets

1. Dec 27, 2008 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was afraid we would be seeing stories like this soon.

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-129547

Please help your local animal shelters if you can.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2008 #2
    geez, pets don't cost THAT much.

4. Dec 27, 2008 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think the living situation is a big part of the problem. It's insanely hard to find an affordable apartment that allows pets here. If I had to move, I would be screwed.

5. Dec 27, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Depends how much you have to spend, in part, and on what kind of pet. A single vet's visit for one of our (at times many) ferrets could easily run $75. They don't eat all that much, so that wasn't bad. If you have a large-breed dog, and the price of food and fuel spikes, the price of dog-food can start looking pretty daunting. My friend's German Shepherd had a run-in with a porcupine, and an after-hours visit to the vet cost him over $300, and this was a number of years ago.

6. Dec 27, 2008 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It probably costs about £800 a year for us to feed Freija. She uses a big 15 Kg bag of kibble a month and that costs ~£40. She has 5 Kg of tripe a week which is ~ £5 and then she has a couple of boxes of biscuits a month as a treat which is ~ £5 also. Thats without vet bills and the cost of getting her in the first place.

7. Dec 27, 2008 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Our governator wants to tax veterinary services in California:

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_vets27.2a7554a.html

8. Dec 27, 2008 #7
    Many cases are bound to be people with several pets. Surely most of you know someone with more pets than your allergies can tolerate.

9. Dec 27, 2008 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

:frown: I want the little kitty Anna.

10. Dec 27, 2008 #9

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I know. Poor little wobbly girl. I hope she gets a home - maybe the news story will help.
    I have read that the feline distemper virus causes her condition. It attacks nerves in the developing cerebellum in kittens resulting in lifelong balance problems. Many people say these kitties make very good pets, though, in spite of their problems.

11. Dec 27, 2008 #10
    That same type story broke here about a year ago. A year ago pet shelters were maxed out. The humane society is putting down 95% of the animals that come through their doors.
    Now they are finding people not even trying to find a place for the pets. Sadly they just leave them in the home or tied up in the garage.
    Its just been heartbreaking, and it doesn't look like its going to get any better for Michigan in the near future.

12. Dec 27, 2008 #11

Pythagorean

Gold Member

pets are the lowest class of citizen in times of desperation

I wonder how human shelters are holding up...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?