Math Pet Peeves: Share Yours Here!

In summary, the conversation centers on pet peeves in mathematics, particularly in notation and indexing. The speakers share their own pet peeves and discuss the confusion and issues caused by mixing different notations and conventions. They also touch on the importance of being precise and not lazy in mathematical proofs and explanations.
S.G. Janssens
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
From another forum I once learned the English expression pet peeve.

More and more I realize that in fact I host a whole animal shelter of mathematical (in the broad sense) pet peeves and, maybe worse, sometimes I am causing them to others. In this thread I would like to hear about yours.

To start off, here are two of mine:

1. Writing things such as $f(x)$ when $f$ is meant, or the other way around, or even $f = f(x)$. (Here $f$ is supposed to be a function.)
2. Mandatory zero-based array indexing. (In a large number of programming languages.)

Note 1: I am not trying to pick on students that are "guilty" of these. As I said, I am sure I also cause similar pains to others.

Note 2: I do not intend to start a discussion about whether or not a particular thing should indeed be classified as a pet peeve. Rather, I am just curious about what kind of things make your toes curl.

Physics news on Phys.org
Krylov said:
1. Writing things such as $f(x)$ when $f$ is meant, or the other way around, or even $f = f(x)$. (Here $f$ is supposed to be a function.)

People have been pointing out to me that $f(x)$ can be seen as short for $x\mapsto f(x)$, since $x$ is unspecified.
That makes $f=f(x)$ short for $f = (x\mapsto f(x))$, which I think is correct isn't it?

But neh, it doesn't really do it for me either.
It still makes my toes curl.

Krylov said:
2. Mandatory zero-based array indexing. (In a large number of programming languages.)

Just today, I was using Excel, and I was yet again annoyed by the fact that the row numbering is one off.
That is, I have a header at row 1, and the first value is at row 2.
That means that the last value is at row (n + 1) when I only have n values.
Really, the first row should be numbered 0 or something.
Ah well.

One of the first computer languages I learned was Pascal, which actually allows you to choose the lower bound for indexing.
However, it's conventional to start at 1.
And deviating from convention is a pain in the (oopsie).

As far as I know, it's in particular C/C++ that has 0 based indexing, and some later languages that inherited from it.
To be honest, I'm actually happy there's no choice.
And as C/C++ is a low level language, it kind of makes sense that a is literally the same as *(a + i), which requires 0-based indexing.
If it were not mandatory, as I see it, it would just increase the problems caused by off-by-one mistakes.
Still, if you really want to, you can start from 1 and ignore the value at 0.Okay, enough of responding to your pet peeves.
Let me bring in one of my own pet peeves.
When doing a substitution, please, please, only do the substitution and nothing else.

Written in the style I've seen on a number of exam sheets:

2x - 6 = 0 = 6/2 = x = 3

-Dan

topsquark said:

2x - 6 = 0 = 6/2 = x = 3

-Dan

Yes, I recognize that.
And I've really been trying to teach students that $0 \ne 6/2$, although they tend to look at me and not take me seriously - they got the answer didn't they? Ah well, when I insist enough - each and every time - some of them try to make me feel better (and get rid of the hassle) and do as I ask.

topsquark said:

2x - 6 = 0 = 6/2 = x = 3

-Dan
All it needs is an arrowhead at one point: $2x - 6 = 0 \Rightarrow 6/2 = x = 3$. (Sun)

I believe that is probably how most students think of it when they write what looks like careless nonsense.

$^w\log$ ("without loss of generality") is often used, but only sometimes true.

A complete proof using a $^w\log$-like statement first treats the special case (where generality is in fact lost) and then shows explicitly how the general case can be reduced to the special case. Everything else is just laziness. (Laziness, in turn, can be a virtue in mathematics, but in my opinion we should then write: "for simplicity" or something like that.)

I like Serena said:
That makes $f=f(x)$ short for $f = (x\mapsto f(x))$, which I think is correct isn't it?
Up to η-conversion.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Up to η-conversion.

Thank you, this is perhaps yet another reason to learn more about functional programming?

Could it be that I find the mixing of $f$ and $f(x)$ confusing (see post #1) because in ordinary mathematical text it is not always clear whether $x$ appears "free" or not?

Krylov said:
Could it be that I find the mixing of $f$ and $f(x)$ confusing (see post #1) because in ordinary mathematical text it is not always clear whether $x$ appears "free" or not?
Mixing $f$ and $f(x)$ is indeed confusing from the standpoint of types. If, for example, $f:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}$ and $x$ is a real number, which is denoted by $x:\mathbb{R}$ in typed lambda-calculus, then $f(x):\mathbb{R}$. That is, $f$ and $f(x)$ are entities of different type. In ordinary notation it may not be clear whether $f(x)$ means a function of a number. But when $f$ is an variable (not a meta-variable standing for some expression), then $x$ does not occur freely in $f$, so there is no doubt that $f$ and $\lambda x.\,f x$ (or $x\mapsto f(x)$) are η-convertible (basically the same thing).

Krylov said:
$^w\log$ ("without loss of generality") is often used, but only sometimes true.

A complete proof using a $^w\log$-like statement first treats the special case (where generality is in fact lost) and then shows explicitly how the general case can be reduced to the special case. Everything else is just laziness. (Laziness, in turn, can be a virtue in mathematics, but in my opinion we should then write: "for simplicity" or something like that.)

Similarly it is trivial or it is obvious are often used when it is not trivial or obvious. I believe it is again out of laziness or actual lack of understanding. And it leads to frustration.

My biggest pet peeve is when authors omit important parts of proofs, sometimes without even saying anything about the said omission, while at the same time finding the space to write out more simpler, less important parts. I genuinely believe people like Rudin intentionally committed this practice of writing out trivialities while omitting vital steps within proofs or relegating important results to exercises (I can at least see the utility of the last one... to an extent) so that they have their books enter the folklore of hard and deep mathematics books.

Another one is drowning the student with exercises; as in, hundreds per chapter, like Niven's book on number theory. How is the student supposed to know which exercises are there to consolidate the material? If you skip some exercises you may risk missing out on some excellent problem that would have helped you internalise some results you've just learned; but if you don't skip, it will take a very long time to finish a few chapters (especially since the problems are almost all non-trivial, and largely just novelties).

Don't even get me started on size of American multivariable calculus books!

Krylov said:
Thank you, this is perhaps yet another reason to learn more about functional programming?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Mixing $f$ and $f(x)$ is indeed confusing from the standpoint of types. If, for example, $f:\mathbb{R}\to\mathbb{R}$ and $x$ is a real number, which is denoted by $x:\mathbb{R}$ in typed lambda-calculus, then $f(x):\mathbb{R}$. That is, $f$ and $f(x)$ are entities of different type. In ordinary notation it may not be clear whether $f(x)$ means a function of a number. But when $f$ is an variable (not a meta-variable standing for some expression), then $x$ does not occur freely in $f$, so there is no doubt that $f$ and $\lambda x.\,f x$ (or $x\mapsto f(x)$) are η-convertible (basically the same thing).

I just realized that there is yet another notation.
What if we write $f=f(\cdot)$?
That is correct (i.e. equivalent) without ambiguity isn't it?
(Although we could wonder what the point is of writing something like that.)
That is, the confusing part is that $x$ is usually a real number (or equivalent), and it's not always clear or intuitive if it is free in the context or not.
However, a center dot ($\cdot$) in the position of an argument is always assumed to be a placeholder argument and as such free in the context.

June29 said:
Another one is drowning the student with exercises; as in, hundreds per chapter, like Niven's book on number theory. How is the student supposed to know which exercises are there to consolidate the material? If you skip some exercises you may risk missing out on some excellent problem that would have helped you internalise some results you've just learned; but if you don't skip, it will take a very long time to finish a few chapters (especially since the problems are almost all non-trivial, and largely just novelties).

Don't even get me started on size of American multivariable calculus books!

I found that there's usually a pattern to these exercises.
The first series are usually questions about the words, symbols, and definitions that were introduced in the chapter.
The second series are redoing the examples in the chapter with slightly different context and numbers.
The third series are questions that go beyond the examples and require a thorough understanding of what the chapter is about.
And the fourth series (often mixed with the third) are the starred questions for which a certain mathematical caliber is required, or otherwise an extreme amount of exercise including using different sources and asking help from professors and/or other experts (e.g here on MHB!).

If we feel comfortable with the definitions we can skip to the second series and so on.
Being able to redo the exercises is usually enough to pass an exam.
Doing sufficient problems of the third series guarantees a high grade.
The starred questions are for those seeking perfection and will usually have to be time boxed since time will tend to run out when the exam arrives.

I like Serena said:
I just realized that there is yet another notation.
What if we write $f=f(\cdot)$?
That is correct (i.e. equivalent) without ambiguity isn't it?
(Although we could wonder what the point is of writing something like that.)

I think I get the point. (Wink)

I like Serena said:
That is, the confusing part is that $x$ is usually a real number, and it's not always clear or intuitive if it is free in the context or not.

Yes, exactly.

I like Serena said:
However, a center dot ($\cdot$) in the position of an argument is always assumed to be a placeholder argument and as such free in the context.

Yes, I agree. I see people do this sometimes even when there is just one argument, but personally I would only do it if there are other arguments in play - such as in https://mathhelpboards.com/differential-equations-17/compact-support-24292.html - where we would write $u(\cdot, t)$ to denote the one-parameter family of functions $x \mapsto u(x,t)$. When there is only one argument, I would indeed write $f$ instead of $f(\cdot)$.

I like Serena said:
Similarly it is trivial or it is obvious are often used when it is not trivial or obvious. I believe it is again out of laziness or actual lack of understanding. And it leads to frustration.
This reminds me of the math professor who, in the middle of a lecture, said "and now it is obvious that" and wrote a formula on the blackboard, then stood back and said "Why is that obvious?"

He then sat down at his desk, wrote furiously for about 15 minutes, then rose and said "Yes, it is obvious!"

Country Boy said:
This reminds me of the math professor who, in the middle of a lecture, said "and now it is obvious that" and wrote a formula on the blackboard, then stood back and said "Why is that obvious?"

He then sat down at his desk, wrote furiously for about 15 minutes, then rose and said "Yes, it is obvious!"
I have to say I am guilty of this. Have been doing a better Job, but typically I only bring up trivial for the 0 case.

We are discussing tangent bundles, currently, and getting into a lot of Li Algebra and topological spaces that they are not use to seeing in an ODE class.

I like Serena said:

I think some people, though by no means all, use this to intimidate the students. Essentially they're saying, "Look at how smart I am", when they should be working to clarify things for the students to show them how smart they are. If someone says that to me, and it's highly non-obvious to me, I have decided just to let that roll off my back now.

Ackbach said:
I think some people, though by no means all, use this to intimidate the students. Essentially they're saying, "Look at how smart I am", when they should be working to clarify things for the students to show them how smart they are. If someone says that to me, and it's highly non-obvious to me, I have decided just to let that roll off my back now.

I used to have a prof. that would say even 1 + 1 = 2 wasn't obvious to him... to motivate the axiom and properties of real numbers. (Rofl) He would later go on and state trivial limits, etc., basically anything 'obvious', was not obvious to him, to motivate the rigorous treatment of those concepts.

1. What are some common math pet peeves?

Some common math pet peeves include memorizing formulas without understanding them, being forced to show work for simple problems, and having to use a calculator for basic arithmetic.

2. Why do people have math pet peeves?

People may have math pet peeves because they struggle with certain concepts, find the subject boring or irrelevant, or have had negative experiences with math in the past.

3. How can I overcome my math pet peeves?

One way to overcome math pet peeves is to practice regularly and seek help from a tutor or teacher when needed. It can also be helpful to try approaching math problems from different angles and finding real-world applications for the concepts.

4. Is it important to address math pet peeves?

Yes, it is important to address math pet peeves because they can hinder a person's understanding and enjoyment of math. Overcoming these pet peeves can lead to a better understanding and appreciation of the subject.

5. How can teachers address students' math pet peeves?

Teachers can address students' math pet peeves by providing a supportive and understanding learning environment, offering different approaches to solving problems, and incorporating real-world examples and applications into lessons. It is also important for teachers to listen to their students and address any specific concerns or frustrations they may have with math.