Source of magnetic field of Neutron stars.

In summary, neutron stars have extremely strong magnetic fields that are inherited from the parent star and become more concentrated due to the small size of the neutron star. The interiors of neutron stars have a high density of charge carriers which can generate an internal magnetic field. In some cases, a short-lived dynamo may also contribute to the extreme magnetic field of a neutron star. More research is needed to fully understand the source of magnetic fields in neutron stars.
lindloda
If Neutron stars are what they are...
I mean made of literally only neutrons ...how do they generate such immense magnetic field (of the order 10^8 or something) ..

I think the name is somewhat misleading and it ought to have a near half ratio of protons ...But still being so compact how do the generate such immense magnetic field ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
lindloda said:
If Neutron stars are what they are...
I mean made of literally only neutrons ...how do they generate such immense magnetic field (of the order 10^8 or something) ..

I think the name is somewhat misleading and it ought to have a near half ratio of protons ...But still being so compact how do the generate such immense magnetic field ?

They inherit most of the magnetic field from the parent star. Magnetic fields survive a supernova just fine, and since the star is so small become extremely concentrated.

The interiors of neutron stars are a few percent protons and electrons but are extremely dense, so they (I think) have the highest density of charge carriers in the Universe. The star generates an internal magnetic field from that, but not much is known about it.

In some neutron star a short-lived dynamo appears very early in the star's "life" and generates an extreme magnetic field.

What is a neutron star?

A neutron star is a highly dense celestial object that is formed when a massive star dies in a supernova explosion. It is made primarily of neutrons and has a diameter of about 20 kilometers.

What is the source of the magnetic field of neutron stars?

The source of the magnetic field of neutron stars is believed to be the rapid rotation of the star and the presence of electrically charged particles, such as protons and electrons, in its interior. This creates a dynamo effect, generating a strong magnetic field.

How strong is the magnetic field of a neutron star?

The magnetic field of a neutron star can be incredibly strong, ranging from 10^8 to 10^15 Gauss. This is much stronger than the magnetic field of Earth, which is only about 0.5 Gauss at its surface.

What are the effects of the magnetic field on neutron stars?

The strong magnetic field of neutron stars can have a number of effects, including causing particles to be accelerated and emitting intense radiation. It can also affect the structure and evolution of the star itself.

Can the magnetic field of a neutron star be observed?

Yes, the magnetic field of a neutron star can be observed through its effects on the surrounding environment. This can include the production of synchrotron radiation, X-ray emission, and the formation of magnetospheres.