Space Propulsion Research: What's Next? Best College Major for Study

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
osnarf
Messages
207
Reaction score
0
I'm curious, what do you think the "next generation" space propulsion technologies will be, and what would be the best college major in order to do research in that field?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Any chance this can get a reply? My specialty will likely be in space propulsion, so I'm interested in this as well.

Edit: And which colleges' aerospace grad school has a good propulsion program?
 
NASA scientists are convinced that VASIMR (variable specific impulse magnetoplasma rocket) will be much more efficient and faster than a conventional chemical-powered rocket.
http://www.nasa.gov/vision/space/travelinginspace/future_propulsion.html
http://news.discovery.com/space/mars-rocket-vasimr-nasa.html
However, I still believe the "next generation" space propulsion engines will be something more unconventional than what was envisaged by theorists.
http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/A/advanced_propulsion_concepts.html
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I also would like to inquire on schools both undergrad and graduate schools that will be good for this career path. Any part of the US is good, but the only undergrad program I saw was at Embry-Riddle University that fit anything I was looking for (their AZ campus).
 
Actually, if anyone knows a lot about this area and the specific knowledge needed to do research in this field (such as recommended coursework in physics and maths etc). I would love to hear!

Also what is research in space propulsion like? I checked MIT's space propulsion group bu there's only so much info on their site.
 
Look at this concept: DS4G - www.esa.int/gsp/ACT/pro/pp/DS4G/background.htm[/URL]
[PLAIN]http://www.esa.int/gsp/ACT/pro/pp/DS4G/DS4G%20description.html

http://esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/gsp/completed/C19255ExS.pdf

Dual Stage Four Grid Thruster Development — Plasma Research Laboratory
prl.anu.edu.au/SP3/research/SAFEandDS4G
http://prl.anu.edu.au/SP3

About 25 years ago, I had contacted a graduate from Princeton regarding his research in magnetoplasmadynamic systems. I believe that a university with physics, engineering science/physics and aerospace program would have a good chance of having a propulsion program.

http://www.physorg.com/news9786.html

I'd recommend finding journal articles on the advanced concepts and finding authors affiliated with a university.

Also, one could check out AIAA - www.aiaa.org[/url] and IEEE - [url]www.ieee.org[/URL].
[PLAIN]www.aiaa.org/aerospace/images/articleimages/pdf/AA_Mar06_IB.pdf[/URL]

See this abstract - [PLAIN]http://pdf.aiaa.org/preview/CDReadyMJPC06_1178/PV2006_4669.pdf


AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference
47th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference (2011)
http://www.aiaa.org/content.cfm?pageid=230&lumeetingid=2424&viewcon=submit

Universities that one could look into are:

UCLA
Caltech
ANU
Advanced Electric Propulsion at the University of Washington (dated 2004)
http://www.ess.washington.edu/Space/propulsion.html

Georgia Tech
http://soliton.ae.gatech.edu/people/mwalker/

Princeton
http://www.princeton.edu/mae/people/faculty/choueiri/
http://www.princeton.edu/mae/research/lasers/

U. of Michigan
http://aerospace.engin.umich.edu/ERPS/
http://aerospace.engin.umich.edu/ERPS/members.html
http://aerospace.engin.umich.edu/people/faculty/gallimore/

Michigan/AFRL Center of Excellence in Electric Propulsion (MACEEP) Established
http://research.me.mtu.edu/news-view.php?id=58


See also - 2009 International Electric Propulsion Conference at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI (USA)
http://www.iepc2009.org/ and search internet for "International Electric Propulsion Conference"

USC - http://www.usc.edu/dept/publications/cat2008/schools/engineering/astronautics/degree_requirements.html
http://mapp.usc.edu/mastersprograms/degreeprograms/ASTE/MSASTE.html


Other possibilities
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerospace_engineering#Aerospace_engineering_degrees


See this bio - http://www.af.mil/information/bios/bio.asp?bioID=12366
EDUCATION
1986 Bachelor of Science degrees in physics and mathematics, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis
1990 Master of Science degree in nuclear engineering, University of Washington, Seattle, Wash.
1992 Doctor of Philosophy degree in plasma physics, University of Washington, Seattle



There is also a new forum - Nuclear and Emerging Technologies for Space (NETS-2011)

http://anstd.ans.org/NETS2009/About.htm

http://anstd.ans.org/NETS2011/AboutNETS2011.htm


http://www.redking.me.uk/scitech/space/really_advanced_ spacecraft _propulsion_research.pdf

FYI - http://adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1997ESASP.398...45B


There's lots more too. I attended a predecessor meeting to NETS about 24 years ago.


Programs in space exploration and development.
http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/nexgen/rlvhp.htm
 
Last edited by a moderator: