Which major for grad school? Planning to do research in space propulsion.

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on what major to pursue for their Master's degree, specifically in relation to space propulsion research. They are considering either Aerospace Engineering or a complementary major, such as Physics with a concentration in Plasma Science. Another individual suggests that Aerospace Engineering would be the best choice, and the individual mentions they have identified programs at MIT and Caltech for plasma rocketry, but will continue to search for other options.
OBreaux1
Hello all. I'm in need of some advice, and I would appreciate any thoughts you guys can contribute. I will be graduating from RPI this semester with a BS in Aeronautical Engineering. I am applying to graduate schools with the intention of becoming involved in space propulsion research (a specialization in Physics?). I am debating if my MS degree should be in Aerospace or if I should seek another major, perhaps one that complements space propulsion. Does anyone have any insight into what arrangement would work best?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't imagine a better major than aerospace engineering for what you seek. I plan to go into space propulsion research myself.

I guess I was wondering if someone would propose I major in Physics, concentrating on Plasma Science or something.

So to where are you applying, if you don't mind me asking??

I've identified a couple schools. MIT and Caltech each have programs for plasma rocketry. Obviously they're very hard to get into, so I'll look around more.

But I'm just a sophomore, so I have plenty of time.

There are a few factors to consider when deciding on a major for graduate school if your goal is to do research in space propulsion. First, it is important to have a strong foundation in both engineering and physics, as space propulsion involves both disciplines. A graduate degree in Aerospace Engineering would provide a solid background in the engineering principles needed for space propulsion research. However, a degree in Physics could also be beneficial, as it would provide a deeper understanding of the underlying physics behind propulsion systems.

Additionally, you may want to consider the specific research focus of the graduate program you are considering. Some programs may have a stronger focus on space propulsion, while others may have a broader focus on aerospace engineering or physics. It may be helpful to speak with current graduate students or faculty members in these programs to get a better understanding of the research opportunities available.

Ultimately, the most important factor in choosing a major for graduate school is to find a program that aligns with your research interests and goals. If space propulsion is your passion, then pursuing a graduate degree in Aerospace Engineering or a related field would likely be the best choice. However, if you are interested in exploring other areas of research in addition to space propulsion, a degree in Physics or a related field could provide a broader foundation for your future career.

1. What type of major should I pursue for grad school if I want to do research in space propulsion?

The most common majors for students interested in space propulsion research are aerospace engineering, physics, and mechanical engineering. These majors provide a strong foundation in the fundamental principles and theories that are applicable to space propulsion systems.

2. Do I need to have a specific undergraduate major to be eligible for a graduate program in space propulsion research?

No, as long as your undergraduate major is in a related field such as engineering, physics, or mathematics, you can still apply for a graduate program in space propulsion research. However, having a strong background in these subjects will increase your chances of being accepted into a program.

3. Are there any specific courses I should take as an undergraduate to prepare for a graduate program in space propulsion research?

It is recommended to take courses in fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and aerospace propulsion systems during your undergraduate studies to gain a solid understanding of the concepts and principles that are essential for space propulsion research. Additionally, courses in mathematics, computer programming, and materials science can also be beneficial.

4. Should I pursue a Master's degree or a PhD for a career in space propulsion research?

Both a Master's degree and a PhD can lead to a career in space propulsion research. However, a PhD is typically required for more advanced research positions and academic positions. A Master's degree is a good option if you want to gain practical experience before pursuing a PhD.

5. What are some potential career paths for someone with a graduate degree in space propulsion research?

Graduates with a degree in space propulsion research can pursue careers in the aerospace industry, government agencies such as NASA, and research institutions. Some common job titles include propulsion engineer, aerospace systems engineer, and research scientist. Additionally, a graduate degree in this field can also lead to opportunities in academia as a professor or researcher.