• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Which major for grad school? Planning to do research in space propulsion.

• Schools
  • Thread starter OBreaux1
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello all. I'm in need of some advice, and I would appreciate any thoughts you guys can contribute. I will be graduating from RPI this semester with a BS in Aeronautical Engineering. I am applying to graduate schools with the intention of becoming involved in space propulsion research (a specialization in Physics?). I am debating if my MS degree should be in Aerospace or if I should seek another major, perhaps one that complements space propulsion. Does anyone have any insight into what arrangement would work best?

Answers and Replies

I can't imagine a better major than aerospace engineering for what you seek. I plan to go into space propulsion research myself.

I guess I was wondering if someone would propose I major in Physics, concentrating on Plasma Science or something.

So to where are you applying, if you don't mind me asking??

I've identified a couple schools. MIT and Caltech each have programs for plasma rocketry. Obviously they're very hard to get into, so I'll look around more.

But I'm just a sophomore, so I have plenty of time.