1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which major for grad school? Planning to do research in space propulsion.

1. Nov 19, 2011 #1
    Hello all. I'm in need of some advice, and I would appreciate any thoughts you guys can contribute. I will be graduating from RPI this semester with a BS in Aeronautical Engineering. I am applying to graduate schools with the intention of becoming involved in space propulsion research (a specialization in Physics?). I am debating if my MS degree should be in Aerospace or if I should seek another major, perhaps one that complements space propulsion. Does anyone have any insight into what arrangement would work best?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 20, 2011 #2
    I can't imagine a better major than aerospace engineering for what you seek. I plan to go into space propulsion research myself.

4. Nov 20, 2011 #3
    I guess I was wondering if someone would propose I major in Physics, concentrating on Plasma Science or something.

So to where are you applying, if you don't mind me asking??

5. Nov 20, 2011 #4
    I've identified a couple schools. MIT and Caltech each have programs for plasma rocketry. Obviously they're very hard to get into, so I'll look around more.

But I'm just a sophomore, so I have plenty of time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook