1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Special Relativity book

1. Aug 27, 2014 #1
    I haven't specifically studied SR yet. My only exposure to it has been in the classical field theory section of Jackson's Electromagnetism and Landau Lifshitz Classical Theory of Fields. I understood what was going on and how it was related to the electromagnetic field etc but I don't feel as if Ihave actually learned SR.

I'm looking for a rigorous special relativity text written in the same notation as Jackson (4-vectors and tensors) and which actually goes into the consequences of SR such as time dilation and length contraction.

Does such a text exist?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2014 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Aug 27, 2014 #3

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=730724

This is the absolute best book I personally know of on the subject. My opinions on it are summarized in that thread.

5. Aug 27, 2014 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I had not seen that thread, or heard of this book before. It does look very good (so far based on the table of contents alone). I will have to get a copy for myself.

I still think that Schutz may be better for someone who just wants to pick up the basics of SR and tensors quickly, but Gourgoulhon (LOL that name) covers so much more. There's some stuff in there that I have wanted to read about for years.

So...Maybe_Memorie, consider getting both. My modified suggestion is that you read those three chapters in Schutz first, and then use Gourgoulhon when you're ready to go really deeply into the subject.

6. Aug 27, 2014 #5

WannabeNewton

Science Advisor

I wouldn't have heard of it either if it wasn't for George! He's introduced me to so many good books over the months (years?). I really recommend getting it.

I definitely agree with you 100% on Schutz. And yeah, the name is pretty funny to say lol. I mean I'm probably butchering the pronounciation but to me it sounds like "goor ghoul own". I've had 4 years of French and I still can't pronounce these names xP

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted