Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spectral theory in quantum mechanics

1. Jan 11, 2009 #1
    Can someone please tell me what the integrand in the below equation mean?
    [tex] 1 = \langle \psi | \psi \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} d \langle \psi |E_\lambda \psi \rangle [/tex]
    [tex]E_\lambda[/tex] is an increasing (and absolutely continuous) function of projection operators such that [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dE_\lambda = I [/tex]

( I read the integrand as a differential (or measure) of a complex constant, which should have been zero!? So I am certainly wrong in interpreting it)
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2009 #2
    I would say that [tex]E_\lambda[/tex] corresponds to an element of a continuous set of projection operators i.e. [tex]E_\lambda=|\lambda\rangle\langle\lambda|[/tex] with the completeness relation
    [tex]\int dE_\lambda\equiv \int d\lambda |\lambda\rangle\langle\lambda|=1[/tex].

In this sense the equation you wrote simply means

[tex]1=\langle\psi|\psi\rangle=\langle\psi|(\int dE_\lambda )|\psi\rangle =\int d\underbrace{\lambda\langle\psi|\lambda\rangle\langle \lambda|\psi\rangle}_{\langle \psi |E_\lambda\psi\rangle}[/tex]

Hope this helps
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  4. Jan 11, 2009 #3
    Thanks!.. I get the drift.

As in, in the case of [tex]\lambda[/tex] belonging to the spectrum of position operators,
    [tex]\langle \psi | E_\lambda \psi \rangle = \int_{-\infty}^{\lambda} |\psi |^2 dx[/tex]
    which is absolutely continuous and its differential is well defined ([tex]= | \psi |^2 [/tex])

But, is writing [tex]E_\lambda=|\lambda\rangle\langle\lambda| [/tex] valid even for [tex]\lambda \in [/tex] spectrum, which can be continuous?
    I was of the opinion that it is valid only when [tex]\lambda[/tex] is an eigenvalue (and hence discrete).

And when you wrote [tex]E_\lambda=|\lambda\rangle\langle\lambda| [/tex], I assume you meant the following:
    [tex] E_\lambda=\sum_{\lambda_i \le \lambda} |\lambda_i\rangle\langle\lambda_i| [/tex]
  5. Jan 12, 2009 #4
    Actually I think the answer I gave was not really what you were looking for. I just took a shot in the dark. To answer what the integrand means I would have to know in what context it appears. And I have a feeling even then I probably am not the right person to answer.

I think that, in a "rigged" Hilbert space, continuous eigenvalues are allowed and one can safely write [tex]E_\lambda=|\lambda\rangle\langle \lambda[/tex] and even [tex]1=\int d\lambda |\lambda\rangle\langle\lambda|[/tex] but I don't know how to prove this or where proof could be found.

Sorry for not being able to help you. I hope somebody comes along who can.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?