Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Spectroscopy before tunable lasers?

1. Nov 15, 2016 #1
    how was it done???

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I guess you mean absorption spectroscopy: wide-spectrum light source, a grating, and a narrow slit.

4. Nov 15, 2016 #3
    sounds like a lot of setting up.

5. Nov 15, 2016 #4

DrClaude

More than a tunable laser???

6. Nov 15, 2016 #5

DrClaude

7. Nov 15, 2016 #6
    Edit - viewed link, nice instrument.

8. Nov 15, 2016 #7

DrClaude

I don't see the difficulty in that. In the old-old days, it was done manually (grating on a pivot), later using a motor.

9. Nov 15, 2016 #8
    I guess if I got this right due to the physical set up a particular line you select is locked there indefinitely and you just know it's that wavelength forever.

the only time I did real spectroscopy there was continual drift and I had to fix the wavelength with a beam splitter and compare to another sample of with known line. there was always mode hopping issues but that did not bother what I was doing.

I suspect tunable lasers are prolly all automated now to stay on a line. the bandwidth was very narrow, would like to know what the bandwidth is for the antique instrument in the link.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted