Spectroscopy before tunable lasers?

In summary, absorption spectroscopy involves using a wide-spectrum light source, a grating, and a narrow slit to select a particular line for analysis. This process used to be done manually, but now it is automated with tunable lasers. The bandwidth for the antique instrument in the provided link is unknown.
houlahound
how was it done?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you mean absorption spectroscopy: wide-spectrum light source, a grating, and a narrow slit.

sounds like a lot of setting up.

houlahound said:
sounds like a lot of setting up.
More than a tunable laser?

Edit - viewed link, nice instrument.

houlahound said:
I would like to see the power spectrum and bandwidth of a line from the source. so a frequency sweep means you change the angle of the diffraction grating - ouch.
I don't see the difficulty in that. In the old-old days, it was done manually (grating on a pivot), later using a motor.

I guess if I got this right due to the physical set up a particular line you select is locked there indefinitely and you just know it's that wavelength forever.

the only time I did real spectroscopy there was continual drift and I had to fix the wavelength with a beam splitter and compare to another sample of with known line. there was always mode hopping issues but that did not bother what I was doing.

I suspect tunable lasers are prolly all automated now to stay on a line. the bandwidth was very narrow, would like to know what the bandwidth is for the antique instrument in the link.

What is spectroscopy?

Spectroscopy is a scientific technique used to study the interaction between matter and electromagnetic radiation. It involves the measurement of the absorption, emission, or scattering of light by a sample in order to identify and quantify its chemical composition and structure.

What is the purpose of using tunable lasers in spectroscopy?

Tunable lasers are used in spectroscopy to provide a wide range of wavelengths, allowing for more precise and accurate analysis of a sample's properties. This allows scientists to target specific energy levels and obtain more detailed information about the sample's molecular structure and behavior.

How does spectroscopy with tunable lasers differ from traditional spectroscopy techniques?

Traditional spectroscopy techniques use a fixed wavelength of light, limiting the range of samples that can be analyzed. Tunable lasers, on the other hand, can be adjusted to emit a specific wavelength, making them more versatile and suitable for a wider range of samples and applications.

What are the advantages of using tunable lasers in spectroscopy?

Tunable lasers offer several advantages in spectroscopy, including improved sensitivity, higher resolution, and the ability to target specific energy levels. This allows for more accurate and detailed analysis of samples, which is especially useful in fields such as chemistry, physics, and environmental science.

What are some common applications of spectroscopy with tunable lasers?

Spectroscopy with tunable lasers has a wide range of applications, including chemical analysis, environmental monitoring, medical diagnostics, and material characterization. It is also used in research and development to study the properties of new materials and substances.