Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Spectroscopy before tunable lasers?

1. Nov 15, 2016 #1
    how was it done???

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

I guess you mean absorption spectroscopy: wide-spectrum light source, a grating, and a narrow slit.

4. Nov 15, 2016 #3
    sounds like a lot of setting up.

5. Nov 15, 2016 #4

DrClaude

More than a tunable laser???

6. Nov 15, 2016 #5

DrClaude

7. Nov 15, 2016 #6
    Edit - viewed link, nice instrument.

8. Nov 15, 2016 #7

DrClaude

I don't see the difficulty in that. In the old-old days, it was done manually (grating on a pivot), later using a motor.

9. Nov 15, 2016 #8
    I guess if I got this right due to the physical set up a particular line you select is locked there indefinitely and you just know it's that wavelength forever.

the only time I did real spectroscopy there was continual drift and I had to fix the wavelength with a beam splitter and compare to another sample of with known line. there was always mode hopping issues but that did not bother what I was doing.

I suspect tunable lasers are prolly all automated now to stay on a line. the bandwidth was very narrow, would like to know what the bandwidth is for the antique instrument in the link.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted