Speed at which diver enters water

In summary, the problem is asking for the speed and angle of a diver who jumps from the edge of a swimming pool and lands 5.7 m away and 0.82 seconds later. The relevant equations are V=V0+at, V2=V02+2aΔx, Δx=V0t+.5at2, Vox=V0cosθ, and Voy=V0sinθ. After assuming that the edge of the pool is level with the water, the solution is 8.04 m/s at a 30 degree angle. It is important to pay attention to details and assumptions in problems like these to avoid getting stuck.
kinganu123

Homework Statement

A diver dives from the edge of a swimming pool and lands in the pool 5.7 m away and 0.82 seconds later.
With what speed did the diver dive? At what angle?

Δx=5.7
t=.82
X and Y are independent

Final answer should be 8.04 m/s at a 30 degree angle

Homework Equations

V=V0+at
V2=V02+2aΔx
Δx=V0t+.5at2
Vox=V0cosθ
Voy=V0sinθ

The Attempt at a Solution

Vox=6.95
After that, I'm stumped
I'm missing two variables in every single equation :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I think you need a couple more assumptions.
If the edge of the pool is level with the water then the path is a parabola - it's the same question as firing a canonball upward and finding where it lands.

well that makes a LOT of sense
Thanks a bunch! :D

and to why think I was stuck on this for an hour...
the entire time, i was thinking that the water was below the edge of the pool

If it's a diving board and they dived horizontally it would ask you to calculate the height not the angle. If it's a diving board and they jump up you don't have enough info.

After a while you get to spot the questions - it's just practice!

Ya, unless it's specifically stated that there is a difference in height I usually just asume that everything is level in problems like these

1. What factors affect the speed at which a diver enters the water?

The speed at which a diver enters the water is affected by several factors, including the height from which they are diving, their body position, and the angle of entry.

2. Does the speed of entry affect the safety of the dive?

Yes, the speed at which a diver enters the water can affect the safety of the dive. A faster entry can increase the risk of injury, especially if the diver enters the water at an incorrect angle or with a poorly executed dive. It is important for divers to control their speed and ensure a proper entry to minimize the risk of injury.

3. Is there an ideal speed for entering the water?

There is no one ideal speed for entering the water, as it can vary depending on the type of dive and the preferences of the diver. However, in general, a controlled and controlled entry at a moderate speed is recommended for safety and proper execution of the dive.

4. How can a diver control their speed when entering the water?

Divers can control their speed when entering the water by adjusting their body position, such as keeping their arms close to their sides and their legs together. They can also use their arms and legs to make small adjustments in their trajectory and slow down their entry.

5. Does the speed at which a diver enters the water affect their score in diving competitions?

Yes, the speed at which a diver enters the water can affect their score in diving competitions. Judges look for a controlled and graceful entry, so a fast and uncontrolled entry may result in a lower score. However, the speed alone does not determine the score, as other factors such as form and technique also play a role in the overall score.