Speed of light spot on screen from rotating mirror

  • Thread starter Thread starter don23
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
don23
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
A horizontal beam of light is reflected from a plane mirror that revolves about a vertical axis at a rate of 30 rev/min. The reflected beam sweeps across a screen that, at the point nearest the mirror, is 20 m away. With what speed does the spot of light move across the screen at the point nearest the mirror?

Is it c? (3*10^8)
I know I am not understanding. Can someone explain this one to me? I am not even sure where to start.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The angular velocity of the mirror is 30*2*Pi/60 radians per second. Multiply this by 20 meters to get the velocity (in meters per second) of the endpoint of a rod which is 20 meters long and perpendicular to the mirror. The speed of the spot of light will be twice that, that is, if I understood the problem correctly. Note that when the mirror (along with the imaginary attached rod) turns by 45 degrees, the reflected ray turns by 90 degrees, i.e. 2*45 degrees.
 
Last edited:
Always start by drawing a diagram!
Make sure the quantity you want (distance along screen) is on the diagram!