Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed Reduction, Torque, high Rpms's?

1. May 9, 2007 #1
    hello, i am unsure if someone will be able to help me with this?

If you have a motor running at say 3000 rpm's, and the torque "needed" is more than the motor has to offer. Can you do a gear reduction to get more torque, and gain "all or most" of the lost rpm's back after reduction is made?

or maybe get more torque and more rpm's?

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

If I understand the question correctly, the answer is 'no'. You could use gear reduction to increase the torque, then use another transmission after your high-torque load to output a high-speed/low-torque rotation. You could not, however, increase the speed of your load while maintaining extra torque.

4. May 10, 2007 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

The motor has a certain available power at any point on it's operating curve. The torque provided by a motor at a given speed is a function of it's construction and the components used to drive the motor, not what it is connected to.

5. May 10, 2007 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

In other words, if you gear-down the motor, you reduce the rmp and increase the torque, keeping the power the same. If you try to drive the motor faster (with higher voltage or frequency depending on the type of motor), you risk burning it out.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?