Speedboat slowing to reach a buoy 100m ahead

  • Thread starter Thread starter Husker70
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Husker70
Messages
89
Reaction score
0
A speedboat moving at 30.0 m/s approaches a no-wake buoy marker 100m ahead.
The pilot slows the boat with a constant acceleration of -3.5 m/s2 by reducing the throttle. (a) How long does it take the boat to reach the buoy? (b) What is the velocity
of the boat when it reaches the bouy?

Thanks,
Kevin
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't you know any equations of motion for constant acceleration that might be related to this problem?
 
Dick,
I know all of the equations however I seem to be missing a variable to get started.
I'm not seeing how to start with time or final velocity.

Kevin
 
You have an initial distance, an initial velocity and the acceleration. Put some of those numbers into the equations you know and solve for the variables you don't know. You have to get started before anyone can help. The attempt doesn't have to be correct.