Spider Subspecies in NC? - Has Friend Found New One?

  • Thread starter Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Science Advisor
Messages
2,348
Reaction score
124
Does anyone know about any spider species that weave a red web? I have seen this in a picture a friend has taken, in North Carolina. Has she found a new subspecies?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Never mind. As it turned out, the guy she was hanging out with at the time is a prankster.
 
Wish you had held out a little longer, I was going to take an educated guess.:smile:

The red webs in North Carolina may have to do with consumption of the ferric soils in the arachnid's diet. There is a band of red (iron rich) soil's that spans from Carolinas down to Florida and across the south, at least to Arizona, (as evident in the Grand Canyon). I know this first hand, as I've collected samples from each state.

If the spider incorporated this mineral into its web, it could account for the unusual red color.