Spin 1/2 particle emitting spin 2 particle?

This can happen through emission of multiple spin-1 particles in opposite directions, or through absorption of spin-2 particles in opposing pairs. In summary, the conservation of total angular momentum explains how spin-2 particles can be emitted or absorbed by spin-1/2 particles.
jjustinn
As I understand it (e.g. from discussions around the Fermi field theory of the nuclear force), a spin 1/2 particle can emit a spin-1 particle and simultaneously flip its spin (say, spin +1/2 -> photon +1 & spin -1/2); but how does this work with spin-2 particles? Does it need to emit pairs in opposite directions (so no spin flip)?

Of am I completely misunderstanding how spin is "conserved" in interactions / decay?

On the off chance the first answer isn't "you are completely misunderstanding this", my next question would be how this works with absorption (i.e. spin-2 particles are absorbed in opposing-pairs only? Unless it's a virtual-only process, that seems far-fetched).

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not spin which is conserved but total angular momentum which is composed of spin and orbital angular momentum. So for a spin 1/2 particle to emit a spin 2 particle, its orbital momentum has to change, too.

Likes naima

1. What is a spin 1/2 particle?

A spin 1/2 particle is a type of elementary particle that has a spin quantum number of 1/2. This means that the particle has a half-integer intrinsic angular momentum, which is a fundamental property of particles.

2. What is a spin 2 particle?

A spin 2 particle is a type of elementary particle that has a spin quantum number of 2. This means that the particle has a whole number intrinsic angular momentum, which is a fundamental property of particles.

3. How does a spin 1/2 particle emit a spin 2 particle?

A spin 1/2 particle can emit a spin 2 particle through a process called a spin-flip. This occurs when the spin of the particle changes from 1/2 to 2, releasing energy in the form of a spin 2 particle.

4. What are some examples of spin 1/2 particles?

Some examples of spin 1/2 particles include electrons, protons, and neutrons. These particles are all considered fermions and have a spin quantum number of 1/2.

5. How is the emission of a spin 2 particle significant in particle physics?

The emission of a spin 2 particle is significant in particle physics because it can provide insight into the fundamental forces and interactions between particles. The exchange of spin 2 particles, such as gravitons, is thought to be responsible for the force of gravity.