1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin of an elementary particle

1. Mar 8, 2010 #1
    Two basic questions here, thanks and good karma to whoever helps. my questions are:

The spin of an elementary particle, is it really the physical rotation of a particle on its axis?

Can I imagine that an elementary particle looks like a three dimensional wave packet laying/distorting the assumed higgs field?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Spin!?

1) no, spin is sort of an intrinsic angular momentum; however, it cannot be modeled as a particle actually spinning. As far as we know, particles are points and therefore can't really spin.

2) I have no idea.
  4. Mar 8, 2010 #3

2) no
  5. Mar 8, 2010 #4

Spin: i agree it is always confusing..It is not the rotation or spinning..
    For e.g., there is only two kinds of spin for a electron 1/2 or -1/2.
    It is better if you think of Pauli matrices..
  6. Mar 10, 2010 #5

So okay, this intrinsic Angular Momentum.. is it expressed by the literal "spin" particles create after they collide?

So far I understand that particles are "born" with this property of spin. Pauli Matrices I do not yet understand. I've wiki'd spin but would just like the layman's version please.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook