Spin of an elementary particle

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spin in elementary particles. One person asks if the spin is a physical rotation, to which another person responds that spin is actually an intrinsic angular momentum and cannot be modeled as a particle spinning on its axis. The concept of Pauli matrices is brought up and the layman's version of spin is requested. It is clarified that particles are born with a certain spin and it is not related to their literal spinning after colliding.
Daveman20
Two basic questions here, thanks and good karma to whoever helps. my questions are:

The spin of an elementary particle, is it really the physical rotation of a particle on its axis?

and

Can I imagine that an elementary particle looks like a three dimensional wave packet laying/distorting the assumed higgs field?

Physics news on Phys.org

1) no, spin is sort of an intrinsic angular momentum; however, it cannot be modeled as a particle actually spinning. As far as we know, particles are points and therefore can't really spin.

2) I have no idea.

2) no

Spin: i agree it is always confusing..It is not the rotation or spinning..
For e.g., there is only two kinds of spin for a electron 1/2 or -1/2.
It is better if you think of Pauli matrices..

Matterwave said:
1) no, spin is sort of an intrinsic angular momentum; however, it cannot be modeled as a particle actually spinning. As far as we know, particles are points and therefore can't really spin.

So okay, this intrinsic Angular Momentum.. is it expressed by the literal "spin" particles create after they collide?

So far I understand that particles are "born" with this property of spin. Pauli Matrices I do not yet understand. I've wiki'd spin but would just like the layman's version please.

1. What is spin in relation to an elementary particle?

Spin is an intrinsic property of elementary particles that describes their angular momentum. It is not related to the physical spinning motion of the particle, but rather a quantum property that determines how the particle interacts with electromagnetic fields.

2. How is the spin of an elementary particle measured?

The spin of an elementary particle can be measured through experiments involving the interaction of the particle with magnetic fields. By observing how the particle's trajectory is affected by the magnetic field, scientists can determine its spin.

3. Can the spin of an elementary particle change?

No, the spin of an elementary particle is a fundamental property that does not change. It is a fixed value for each type of particle and cannot be altered or manipulated.

4. What are the possible values of spin for an elementary particle?

The possible values of spin for an elementary particle are determined by its type. For example, electrons have a spin of 1/2, while photons have a spin of 1. The spin of a particle can only take on integer or half-integer values.

5. How does the spin of an elementary particle affect its behavior?

The spin of an elementary particle affects its behavior by determining how it interacts with other particles and fields. Particles with different spins will have different interactions and properties, such as magnetic moment and energy levels.