Spin Triplet of Ortho Helium - Why Total Spin is 1?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Master J
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Helium Spin
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Master J
Messages
219
Reaction score
0
For the ortho state of Helium, the spin part of the wavefunction is symmetric.

There are 3 possible symmetric wavefunctions we can construct from the 2 electrons' spins.

(^^)

(vv)

[1/SQRT2] { (^v) + (v^) }

I am confused as to why this last state gives a total spin of one? The electrons can only be in one of these eigenstates, both of equal probability of 1/2, but the spins are anti-aligned, are they not?

Thanks guys! (I hope you'll not mind my improvisation for electron spin functions with ^ and v ! :-p )

Cheers!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you help me ..I don't know how to post question.
Today I just saw this web...
Help me please..
 
Master J said:
For the ortho state of Helium, the spin part of the wavefunction is symmetric.

There are 3 possible symmetric wavefunctions we can construct from the 2 electrons' spins.

(^^)

(vv)

[1/SQRT2] { (^v) + (v^) }

I am confused as to why this last state gives a total spin of one? The electrons can only be in one of these eigenstates, both of equal probability of 1/2, but the spins are anti-aligned, are they not?

Thanks guys! (I hope you'll not mind my improvisation for electron spin functions with ^ and v ! :-p )

Cheers!

1. Learn to write with LaTeX code. [tex]\left|\uparrow\downarrow\right\rangle[/tex] - it looks so pretty ! :!)

2. Well, to find the spin of a certain state, you must apply the total angular momentum operator squared. When you do that, you'll get the spin 1.

Remember that it's not [itex]\mbox{m}_{\mbox{j}}[/itex] who gives the spin of the state, but [itex]\mbox{j}[/itex].
 
Ah, an oversight on my part! Thanks for clearing that up!