Question about excited Helium states

In summary, the first excited state of Helium can have two electrons with parallel or antiparallel spin, and any linear combination of these states will also represent two electrons in 1s and 2s orbitals. However, when taking into account electron-electron interactions and fine structure, the linear combination will no longer be an eigenstate and will have a different energy than the individual states. This can be further understood through degenerate perturbation theory.
Rafael
Most of the books I've seen they say that the first excited state of Helium (with two electrons, one in orbital 1s and other in 2s) can have the two electrons with parallel spin (orthohelium) or anti-parallel spin (parahelium).
If ##\operatorname{X_{↑}}{\left (n \right )}## represent the state of particle n with spin up, there are the following possible states:

Anti-parallel spin:

##
A \left(\operatorname{X_{↑}}{\left (1 \right )} \operatorname{X_{↓}}{\left (2 \right )} - \operatorname{X_{↑}}{\left (2 \right )} \operatorname{X_{↓}}{\left (1 \right )}\right) \left(\operatorname{Ψ_{1s}}{\left (r_{1} \right )} \operatorname{Ψ_{2s}}{\left (r_{2} \right )} + \operatorname{Ψ_{1s}}{\left (r_{2} \right )} \operatorname{Ψ_{2s}}{\left (r_{1} \right )}\right)
##

Parallel spin:

##
A \left(\operatorname{Ψ_{1s}}{\left (r_{1} \right )} \operatorname{Ψ_{2s}}{\left (r_{2} \right )} - \operatorname{Ψ_{1s}}{\left (r_{2} \right )} \operatorname{Ψ_{2s}}{\left (r_{1} \right )}\right) \operatorname{X_{↑}}{\left (1 \right )} \operatorname{X_{↑}}{\left (2 \right )}
##

##
A \left(\operatorname{Ψ_{1s}}{\left (r_{1} \right )} \operatorname{Ψ_{2s}}{\left (r_{2} \right )} - \operatorname{Ψ_{1s}}{\left (r_{2} \right )} \operatorname{Ψ_{2s}}{\left (r_{1} \right )}\right) \operatorname{X_{↓}}{\left (1 \right )} \operatorname{X_{↓}}{\left (2 \right )}
##

##
A \left(\operatorname{X_{↑}}{\left (1 \right )} \operatorname{X_{↓}}{\left (2 \right )} + \operatorname{X_{↑}}{\left (2 \right )} \operatorname{X_{↓}}{\left (1 \right )}\right) \left(\operatorname{Ψ_{1s}}{\left (r_{1} \right )} \operatorname{Ψ_{2s}}{\left (r_{2} \right )} - \operatorname{Ψ_{1s}}{\left (r_{2} \right )} \operatorname{Ψ_{2s}}{\left (r_{1} \right )}\right)
##From what I understand, any linear combinations of the above functions also represent two electrons in 1s and 2s orbitals, but if for example i add the first and the four function I get:

##
A \left(\operatorname{X_{↑}}{\left (1 \right )} \operatorname{X_{↓}}{\left (2 \right )} \operatorname{Ψ_{1s}}{\left (r_{1} \right )} \operatorname{Ψ_{2s}}{\left (r_{2} \right )} - \operatorname{X_{↑}}{\left (2 \right )} \operatorname{X_{↓}}{\left (1 \right )} \operatorname{Ψ_{1s}}{\left (r_{2} \right )} \operatorname{Ψ_{2s}}{\left (r_{1} \right )}\right)
##

Becasue I add the Anti-parallel spin function and one of the Parallel spin functions, now I get a function that also represent two electrons in 1s and 2s orbitals, but it is neither parallel or antiparallel.(it's a superposition of both possibilities)

Is this correct or I'm missing something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is correct - any linear combination of the four eigenstates will also be an eigenstate with the same energy.

But the particular choice you've made in your post is a rather special one. You are ignoring electron-electron interactions and fine structure (effects due to electron spin), but if you were to take those into account, you would in principle need to use degenerate perturbation theory, which involves diagonalizing your degenerate subspace with the perturbed Hamiltonian. But the perturbing Hamiltonian conserves total angular momentum (the sum of the electron spins in this case, since these are [itex]/ell=0[/itex] states), so you know that the correct basis is the one which are eigenstates of [itex](\mathbf{S}_1 + \mathbf{S}_2)^2[/itex] and [itex]S^z_1 + S^z_2[/itex]. The is precisely the basis you've written down, so to leading order we expect the actual Helium atom with electron-electron interactions will actually split these four states into a single nondegenerate state (the first one you've written down) and a threefold degenerate state.

Likes Rafael
king vitamin said:
Yes, that is correct - any linear combination of the four eigenstates will also be an eigenstate with the same energy.

But the particular choice you've made in your post is a rather special one. You are ignoring electron-electron interactions and fine structure (effects due to electron spin), but if you were to take those into account, you would in principle need to use degenerate perturbation theory, which involves diagonalizing your degenerate subspace with the perturbed Hamiltonian. But the perturbing Hamiltonian conserves total angular momentum (the sum of the electron spins in this case, since these are [itex]/ell=0[/itex] states), so you know that the correct basis is the one which are eigenstates of [itex](\mathbf{S}_1 + \mathbf{S}_2)^2[/itex] and [itex]S^z_1 + S^z_2[/itex]. The is precisely the basis you've written down, so to leading order we expect the actual Helium atom with electron-electron interactions will actually split these four states into a single nondegenerate state (the first one you've written down) and a threefold degenerate state.
I'm a bit confused because I have't studied perturbation theory yet. So if we take account of electron repulsion and fine structure, what happens with the linear combination I have writted? Is it impossible for helium? Does it have more energy than the others?
Thanks for the answer.

Rafael said:
I'm a bit confused because I have't studied perturbation theory yet.

I'm sorry! I shouldn't have confused you by going beyond what you know. In some courses it is common to study the Helium atom along with perturbation theory, but I can see how the problem you're dealing with could be suited to a first semester quantum course.

Rafael said:
So if we take account of electron repulsion and fine structure, what happens with the linear combination I have writted?

If you take those into account, the linear combination you wrote down won't be an eigenstate anymore, it'll be a superposition of two different eigenstates (its average energy will lie between them). Basically, the first state you wrote down will be an eigenstate with some energy E1, and the other three will all be eigenstates with degenerate energy E2, and you've just taken some superposition of different energy eigenstates.

But anyways, if you have not seen perturbation theory yet perhaps you shouldn't worry about this right now. You can come back to this thread later on and see if what's I've said makes sense once you've worked a little with degenerate perturbation theory.

Likes Rafael

1. What are excited states of Helium?

When an electron in a Helium atom absorbs energy, it is promoted to a higher energy level or excited state. This causes the atom to become unstable, and the electron will eventually return to its ground state by releasing the excess energy in the form of light.

2. How many excited states does Helium have?

Helium has a total of 8 excited states, labeled as n=2 to n=9. The ground state of Helium is n=1, where both electrons are in the lowest energy level.

3. What types of energy can excite Helium states?

Helium states can be excited by various forms of energy, such as heat, light, and electricity. These energy sources provide enough energy for the electron to jump to a higher energy level.

4. How do excited Helium states affect its properties?

When an electron in Helium is in an excited state, it is less stable and has more energy. This can affect the atom's properties, such as its reactivity and ability to bond with other atoms. Excited Helium states are also responsible for the emission of light in neon signs and fluorescent lamps.

5. How long do excited Helium states last?

The lifetime of excited Helium states varies depending on the specific energy level. Generally, the higher the energy level, the shorter the lifetime. Excited states can last from a few nanoseconds to a few milliseconds before the electron returns to its ground state.