Spotting 1997 NC1 flyby on Fri/Sat

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 1K views
DaveC426913
Gold Member
2025 Award
Messages
24,696
Reaction score
9,097
TL;DR
I am disappointed that Stellarium does not seem to recognize it, even though the article pulled screengrabs from Stellarium.
This article.
https://earthsky.org/space/large-asteroid-visible-telescopes-pass-earth-june-27-2026/

Anyway, I'm having a really tough time locating exactly where to look for 1997 NC1 (152637) this weekend.

So I made my own from his screenshots.
1782346980679.webp

It's still not good enough. I need higher rez in order to "starhop". :mad:

I don't know what field of view I'll need to get it if I centre on, say, Nu Serpentis (Mag 4.4). And I won't know until I've taken some sort of picture 5-20 minutes apart and can tell if one of the little dots is moving.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org