Spring Oscillation: Find Greatest Speed of 0.5kg Block

  • Thread starter Thread starter Leviticus 08
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Oscillation Spring
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Leviticus 08
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A 0.5 kg block attached to an ideal spring (k = 100 N/m) oscillates on a horizontal frictionless surface. When the spring is 12 cm shorter than its equilibrium length, the speed of the block is 1.5 m/s. What is the greatest speed of the block?

Homework Equations



The force becomes F(x) = m a - k x
The equilibrium position is x = m a / k

I don't know what else to use

The Attempt at a Solution



I don't really have all the work at my fingertips I left it at home(I'm at work now)
I'm not looking for a solid solution just somewhere to start
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The velocity of the block is given by
v =sqrt(k/m)*sqrt(A^2 - x^2) where x is the displacement from the equilibrium position.
Substitute the values and find the A.
For maximum velocity x = ...?