Spring Potential Energy problem: Where did I go wrong?

In summary: So in summary, the final reading on the ruler will be 61 cm when a 2.5-kg mass is attached to the end of the spring with a k value of 53 N/m. This is because the sum of all forces on the mass must be zero according to Newton's laws, and the force of the spring depends on its length through Hooke's law. Therefore, the force of the spring and the force of gravity must balance at the final position of the mass, resulting in a final reading of 61 cm on the ruler. Additionally, energy is always conserved, but mechanical energy is only one form of energy and will only be approximately conserved in interactions where there is not much conversion between mechanical energy and other
jmosque
A spring with k= 53 N/m hangs vertically next to a ruler. The end of the spring is next to the 15-cm mark on the ruler. If a 2.5-kg mass is now attached to the end of the spring, where will the end of the spring line up with ruler marks?

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1368497932.362201.jpg

According to the book, the final reading will be 61 cm (46cm + 15cm= 61cm).

Physics news on Phys.org
Follow-up question: Could someone explain to me what the difference is between the Law of Conservation of Energy and Conservation of Mechanical Energy?

Energy is always conserved (conversion between mass and energy excepted, maybe). Mechanical energy is only one form of energy; it will be approximately conserved in interactions if there is not much conversion between mechanical energy and other forms.

haruspex said:
Energy is always conserved (conversion between mass and energy excepted, maybe). Mechanical energy is only one form of energy; it will be approximately conserved in interactions if there is not much conversion between mechanical energy and other forms.

Good advice. Now apply that advice to your first problem. It's not a case where mechanical energy is conserved. Use that the force of the spring and the force of gravity balance at the final position of the mass.

haruspex said:

I think I got it. Energy will generally always be conserved but never created or destroyed, with the possible exception of The Mass-Energy equivalence (E=mc^2). Then in a stricter sense, Mechanical energy is only conserved in the absence of forces which would release energy such as friction. Is this correct?

Dick said:
Good advice. Now apply that advice to your first problem. It's not a case where mechanical energy is conserved. Use that the force of the spring and the force of gravity balance at the final position of the mass.

I am not sure I understand why you would balance the force of the spring and the force of gravity to find the final height of the mass.

jmosque said:
I am not sure I understand why you would balance the force of the spring and the force of gravity to find the final height of the mass.

Because the mass will be stationary when it extends the spring. So the sum of all the forces on it must be zero. Newton's laws. This isn't really an energy problem.

Dick said:
Because the mass will be stationary when it extends the spring. So the sum of all the forces on it must be zero. Newton's laws. This isn't really an energy problem.

Oh okay, I see you what you mean now. The problem can be thought of as a Force of Tension problem, where the object is connected to a string. The. Spring mirrors the usual rope, and the force of the spring is akin to the tension force. Thanks for your help!

And @haruspex, thanks for answering my other question.

jmosque said:
Oh okay, I see you what you mean now. The problem can be thought of as a Force of Tension problem, where the object is connected to a string. The. Spring mirrors the usual rope, and the force of the spring is akin to the tension force. Thanks for your help!

And @haruspex, thanks for answering my other question.

Yes, except that the force the spring exerts depends on its length via Hooke's law. You want to figure out how much the spring has to stretch to support the weight of the mass.

Last edited:

1. What is Spring Potential Energy?

Spring Potential Energy is the energy stored in a compressed or stretched spring. It is a type of potential energy that is stored in an object based on its position or configuration.

2. How do you calculate Spring Potential Energy?

To calculate Spring Potential Energy, you will need to use the formula: PE = 1/2 * k * x^2, where PE is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

3. What are the units of Spring Potential Energy?

The units of Spring Potential Energy are Joules (J) in the SI system. In the Imperial system, it is measured in foot-pounds (ft-lb).

4. Can Spring Potential Energy be negative?

Yes, Spring Potential Energy can be negative. This happens when the spring is compressed or stretched in the opposite direction of its equilibrium position. A negative Spring Potential Energy indicates that the spring has the potential to do work when released.

5. What are some real-world applications of Spring Potential Energy?

Spring Potential Energy is used in various everyday objects such as mattresses, trampolines, pogo sticks, and shock absorbers in vehicles. It is also used in more complex systems like car suspension systems, wind-up toys, and mechanical watches.