Square of x , added to one is not equal to n

In summary, the conversation discusses the statement that ##x^{2}+1 \neq n!##, where x is a positive integer. It is mentioned that this statement can be proved using complex numbers, specifically Gaussian integers. The Fermat's theorem on sums of two squares is also referenced, stating that an odd prime p is expressible as sums of two squares iff it is of the form (4k+1). It is also noted that only primes of the form (4k+1) are possible to express as Gaussian integers. However, this is confusing and may not be relevant to the main topic of the conversation.
secondprime
$$x^{2}+1 \neq n! $$since $$x^{2}+1=(x+i)(x-i) $$so ,$$ x^{2}+1$$ has only prime of the form of (4k+1) , where n! has prime of the form( 4k-1) and (4k+1) . :oldbiggrin:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am assuming that ##x\in\mathbb{Z}^+##?

yap! and consider odd prime, not 2!

Last edited:
secondprime said:
$$x^{2}+1 \neq n! $$since $$x^{2}+1=(x+i)(x-i) $$so ,$$ x^{2}+1$$
If x = 3, then x2 + 1 = 10, which factors into 10 * 1, 5 * 2, and (3 + i)(3 - i).
secondprime said:
has only prime of the form of (4k+1) , where n! has prime of the form( 4k-1) and (4k+1) . :oldbiggrin:
Of the pairs of factors I show above, 5 is of the form 4k + 1, but 10 and 3 + i (or 3 - i) aren't.

yes, but you can see that I am talking about prime (4k+1), 2 is neither (4k+1) nor (4k-1), it is the only even prime. is 10 a prime of the form of (4k+1) ?no, it has prime of the form (4k+1), but not (4k-1).

a good counter example would be to find a number which has (4k-1) prime as factor.:smile:

Last edited:
secondprime said:
yes, but you can see that I am talking about prime (4k+1), 2 is neither (4k+1) nor (4k-1), it is the only even prime. is 10 of the form of (4k+1) no, it has prime of the form (4k+1), but not (4k-1).

a good counter example would be to find a number which has (4k-1) prime as factor.
It's not clear to me what you're talking about. I was responding to your first post.
secondprime said:
##x^{2}+1 \neq n! ## since ##x^{2}+1=(x+i)(x-i)## so, ## x^{2}+1## has only prime of the form of (4k+1) , where n! has prime of the form( 4k-1) and (4k+1) .
I found a number x (x = 3) for which x2 + 1 had factors other than the (x + i) and (x - i) that you list above. I believe that ##x^2 + 1 \neq n!## is a true statement, but the rest of what you're saying is not clear.

Sir,

In additive number theory, Pierre de Fermat's theorem on sums of two squares states that an odd prime p is expressible as sums of two squares iff it is of the form (4k+1). that can be proved, using complex number. only prime (4k+1) are possible to express in complex plane, since x^2 +1 is in complex plane ,i assumed it has primes of form (4k+1).

one might argue that even number of (4k-1) prime makes a (4k+1) number(e.g 7*7 +1=2*5*5), in that case I am looking for an example.

Regards.

Last edited:
secondprime said:
only prime (4k+1) are possible to express in complex plane, since x^2 +1 is in complex plane ,i assumed it has primes of form (4k+1).
Why is the complex plane necessary to represent x2 + 1? As long as x is a positive integer (which you said in post #3), then x2 + 1 is also an integer with no imaginary part.

so I can say it has prime of the form (4k+1), all of it , not composite (4k+1) but prime(4k+1). Can I do that Sir??

The title of this thread is "Square of x , added to one is not equal to n!" In other words, ##x^2 + 1 \neq n!##, where x is a positive integer.

This seems obviously true to me. If n > 3, then n! will have at least 3 factors (e.g., 4! = 4 * 3 * 2 -- I am ignoring the factor of 1), whereas x2 + 1 will have no more than two factors, although the pairs of factors might be different.

Sir , I was trying to explore complex number, Gaussian integer, this post is a "prelude", if my interpretation is right , i might have something more useful to say , for the time being, is my idea wrong , Sir??

it would be helpful if you comment on my idea( or anyone else).

secondprime said:
Sir , I was trying to explore complex number, Gaussian integer
That wasn't obvious from your first post or its title.

Is what I've quoted below what you're asking about (from post #7)?

secondprime said:
In additive number theory, Pierre de Fermat's theorem on sums of two squares states that an odd prime p is expressible as sums of two squares iff it is of the form (4k+1). that can be proved, using complex number.
Fine, this is clear.
secondprime said:
only prime (4k+1) are possible to express in complex plane, since x^2 +1 is in complex plane ,i assumed it has primes of form (4k+1).
This part I don't follow.
5 is a prime of the form 4k + 1, and 5 = 22 + 12
13 is a prime of the form 4k + 1, and 13 = 32 + 22
17 is a prime of the form 4k + 1, and 17 = 42 + 12
These are examples that use the Fermat theorem that you cited.
What do any of these have to do with the complex plane?
secondprime said:
one might argue that even number of (4k-1) prime makes a (4k+1) number(e.g 7*7 +1=2*5*5), in that case I am looking for an example.
What does "even number of (4k - 1) prime" mean?

Sir,
only primes of form (4k+1) are possible to express as Gaussian integer, Fermat's thm can be proved using Gaussian integer(i.e as complex number,so those primes are in complex plane) . x^2 +1 can expressed as Gaussian integer too ,so I deduced , it's all prime factors are of the form (4k+1).

7 is the form of (4k-1), 7*7(even number of 7)=49=12*4+1 does not have a prime of the form (4k+1) but itself of the form (4k+1)! ...but if it is confusing please discard what I said about even (4k+1) in previous post.
below links might be helpful-
http://www.had2know.com/academics/gaussian-prime-factorization-calculator.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table_of_Gaussian_integer_factorizations

what I am trying to say that , if a real number can be represented as a complex number product , it can not have a prime of the form (4k-1).

Last edited:
secondprime said:
what I am trying to say that , if a real number can be represented as a complex number product , it can not have a prime of the form (4k-1).
I would say it like this: If a real number can be represented as the product of two complex numbers, it can not have a prime factor of the form (4k-1). I don't know how you would prove that, though.

Mark44 said:
If a real number can be represented as the product of two complex numbers, it can not have a prime factor of the form (4k-1). I don't know how you would prove that, though.
Or more precise: If an integer can be...

Svein said:
Or more precise: If an integer can be...
That's what I had in mind, but didn't state.

Mark44 said:
That's what I had in mind, but didn't state.
I'm a mathematician - which means I have an advanced degree in nitpicking.

Likes DrewD
I think this could work too , let n>2.:
For ##n \geq 5 ##, n!-1 ends in 9 (check other cases), so that, if n! were a perfect square, it would have factors of one of the two types:

1)10K+3
2)10K+7

But neither ##(10K+3)^2+1## , nor ##(10K+7)^2 +1## is divisible by 3, so it cannot equal n!:

1')## (10K+3)^2+1 =100K^2+60K+10 ==1+0+K^2== 1+0+0=1 or 1+0+1=2 mod3 ##

2') ## (10K+7)^2+1 =100K^2+140K+50 == 2+2K+K^2 \neq 0 mod3 ## , since the sum will always be even.

1. Why is the square of x, added to one not equal to n?

This is because the square of x, added to one, is a quadratic expression with two terms, while n is a constant value. These two cannot be equal as they have different mathematical forms.

2. Can you provide an example to illustrate this statement?

Sure, for example, let x=2. The square of 2 is 4, and when added to 1, it becomes 5. However, if n=6, then the statement "the square of x, added to one is not equal to n" holds true, as 5 is not equal to 6.

3. Is there a specific reason why this statement is important?

Yes, this statement is important because it highlights the difference between quadratic expressions and constants. It also emphasizes the importance of precise mathematical language and notation.

4. Can this statement be proven mathematically?

Yes, this statement can be proven using algebraic manipulation. For example, we can start with the equation x^2 + 1 = n and rearrange it to get x^2 = n-1. This shows that the square of x, added to one, is not equal to n as they have different forms.

5. Are there any real-life applications for this statement?

Yes, this statement is commonly used in mathematics and physics to solve problems involving quadratic equations and constants. It also highlights the importance of recognizing and understanding different mathematical forms in various scientific fields.