Squeeze state in quantum SHO, uncertainty

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of squeeze states in quantum simple harmonic oscillators, and the attempt at finding the uncertainties in position and momentum. The discussion delves into the use of the creation and annihilation operators, as well as various equations and their simplifications. Ultimately, the person asking the question realizes their mistake and does not need further assistance.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
SOLVED: Squeeze state in quantum SHO, uncertainty

Homework Statement

So we're working with what are called squeeze states defined as |nu> = S(nu)|0> where nu is a real number, |0> the ground state of the oscillator, and S(nu) = exp[nu(a^2 - a*^2)/2] with a* = hermitian conjugate of a (unless someone can point me towards a dagger on my keyboard :) ). The creation and annihilation operators are the usual a* and a respectively which unfortunately I can't write because I've lost whatever program use to make pretty equations in html :(. I am attempting to find the uncertainties in position and momentum.

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know the usual e^(A)Be^(-A) = B + [A,B] + [A,[A,B]]/2 + [A,[A,[A,B]]]/6 + ...

Finding <x^2> for example, we do <0|S*(nu)x^(2)S*(nu)|0>. We take our above identity and attempt to solve for what this little mess will be.

[A,B] = constant * (aX + Xa - a*X - Xa*) (1)

which is a problem in of itself

Further down the line it gets even worse, so far I have

[A,[A,B]] = constant * (a[X,a^2] - [X,a^2] + a*[X,a^2] - 2aX - 2Xa + [X,a^2]a* + a[X,a*^2] + 2a*X + 2Xa* + [X,a*^2]a - a*[X,a*^2] - [X,a*^2]a*) (2)

It only gets worse from here... Now this can't be the right way to do it or I'm missing something fairly obvious.

The question is, in (1), the <x^2> will have things like <0|aX|0> which really doesn't seem to help considering X, the position operator, doesn't commute with the operator N which gave the states of the harmonic oscillator, thus it will not give me the eigenvalue of X. Am I missing something?

In (2), i can see that equation reducing down into simply a's and a*'s which upon doing [A,[A,[A,B]]], will finally result in constants thus terminating the series. However what's left before that seems to be a deal breaker for the solution. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok nevermind, I found my mistake :)

1. What is a squeeze state in quantum SHO?

A squeeze state in quantum SHO (simple harmonic oscillator) is a type of quantum state in which the uncertainty in position and momentum is reduced beyond what is allowed by the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. This is achieved by applying a squeezing operator to the ground state of the SHO, resulting in a state with a narrower position uncertainty and a wider momentum uncertainty.

2. What is the significance of a squeeze state in quantum SHO?

The significance of a squeeze state in quantum SHO lies in its potential applications. By reducing the uncertainty in position and momentum, squeeze states can improve the precision of measurements in quantum systems. They are also useful in quantum information processing, as they can be used to create entangled states and enhance quantum communication and computation.

3. How is a squeeze state created in quantum SHO?

A squeeze state in quantum SHO is created by applying a squeezing operator, which is a unitary operator, to the ground state of the SHO. This operator is typically expressed in terms of the position and momentum operators, and its effect is to transform the ground state into a squeezed state with reduced position uncertainty and increased momentum uncertainty.

4. What is the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics is a fundamental principle that states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously with arbitrary precision. In other words, there is a limit to how accurately these two properties can be measured at the same time. This principle is a consequence of the wave-particle duality of quantum systems and has important implications in understanding the behavior of quantum particles.

5. How does the uncertainty principle relate to squeeze states in quantum SHO?

The uncertainty principle is closely related to squeeze states in quantum SHO because squeeze states represent a violation of this principle. By reducing the uncertainty in one property (position), the uncertainty in the other property (momentum) is necessarily increased. Thus, squeeze states demonstrate the trade-off between position and momentum uncertainties dictated by the uncertainty principle.