1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Squeeze state in quantum SHO, uncertainty

1. Mar 22, 2009 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

SOLVED: Squeeze state in quantum SHO, uncertainty

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

So we're working with what are called squeeze states defined as |nu> = S(nu)|0> where nu is a real number, |0> the ground state of the oscillator, and S(nu) = exp[nu(a^2 - a*^2)/2] with a* = hermitian conjugate of a (unless someone can point me towards a dagger on my keyboard :) ). The creation and annihilation operators are the usual a* and a respectively which unfortunately I can't write because i've lost whatever program use to make pretty equations in html :(. I am attempting to find the uncertainties in position and momentum.

3. The attempt at a solution

Now I know the usual e^(A)Be^(-A) = B + [A,B] + [A,[A,B]]/2 + [A,[A,[A,B]]]/6 + ...

Finding <x^2> for example, we do <0|S*(nu)x^(2)S*(nu)|0>. We take our above identity and attempt to solve for what this little mess will be.

[A,B] = constant * (aX + Xa - a*X - Xa*) (1)

which is a problem in of itself

Further down the line it gets even worse, so far I have

[A,[A,B]] = constant * (a[X,a^2] - [X,a^2] + a*[X,a^2] - 2aX - 2Xa + [X,a^2]a* + a[X,a*^2] + 2a*X + 2Xa* + [X,a*^2]a - a*[X,a*^2] - [X,a*^2]a*) (2)

It only gets worse from here... Now this can't be the right way to do it or I'm missing something fairly obvious.

The question is, in (1), the <x^2> will have things like <0|aX|0> which really doesn't seem to help considering X, the position operator, doesn't commute with the operator N which gave the states of the harmonic oscillator, thus it will not give me the eigenvalue of X. Am I missing something?

In (2), i can see that equation reducing down into simply a's and a*'s which upon doing [A,[A,[A,B]]], will finally result in constants thus terminating the series. However what's left before that seems to be a deal breaker for the solution. Anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2009 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Ok nevermind, I found my mistake :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook