Stability criteria of heat-like equation

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Hypatio
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Criteria Stability
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Hypatio
Messages
147
Reaction score
1
I know that the criterion of stability for an explicit solution to the heat equation:

[itex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}=D\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial x^2}[/itex]
is
[itex]\Delta t <\frac{1}{2}\frac{\Delta x^2}{D}[/itex]

however, what is the stability criterion for an equation of the form

[itex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}=D\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}\left(\frac{T}{P(D)}\right)[/itex]

where P(D) indicates that P depends on the value of D, which varies arbitrarily in space.

I would like to solve this equation with explicit finite differences, so I will have a term of the form:

[itex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial t}=\frac{D+D_L}{2 \Delta x^2}(\frac{C_L}{P_L}-\frac{C}{P})+\frac{D+D_R}{2\Delta x^2}(\frac{C_R}{P_R}-\frac{C}{P})[/itex]

where subscripts L and R indicate relative position (left and right of the point of calculation).

How can I figure out the maximum timestep allowed.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You want to use something call Von Neumann Stability analysis.