Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stability of linearly perturbed linear nonautonomous system

1. Sep 3, 2014 #1
    I have a linear time-varying linearly perturbed ODE of the form:

[tex]
    \dot{x} = [A(t)+B(t)]x
    [/tex]

where [itex]A(t)[/itex] is a bounded lower-triangular matrix with negative functions on the main diagonal, i.e. [itex]0>a^0\ge a_{ii}(t)[/itex]. The matrix [itex]B(t)[/itex] is bounded, so that [itex]||B(t)|| \le \beta[/itex].

The question is whether there exists a sufficiently small bound [itex]\beta[/itex] such that the origin is asymptotically stable (not necessarily exponentially! I don't care about that).

This paper gives a positive answer to the question, BUT the assumption is that [itex]\dot{x}=A(t)x[/itex] is exponentially stable. In my case, while it is possible to show inductively stability of [itex]\dot{x}=A(t)x[/itex], it is not clear to me that it is exponentially stable, since, for example [itex]\dot{x}_2 = a_{22}(t)x_2 + a_{21}(t)x_1(t)[/itex] such that [itex]x_1(t)\to0[/itex] is exponentially bounded. Is [itex]x_2(t)[/itex] also exponentially bounded?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2014 #2
    Found the answer. According to the theorem 1.1 from this paper, there indeed exists sufficiently small [itex]\beta[/itex] such that [itex]\dot{x}=\left[A(t)+B(t)\right]x[/itex] has negative maximum lyapunov exponent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook