Stars in the Western sky in early evening

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Philosophaie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sky Stars
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 15K views
Philosophaie
Messages
456
Reaction score
0
There were two stars one above the other in the Western Sky just after sunset. I think they were planets. One could by Uranus but I am not sure what the other may be.

I am at:

lat=40.91666667
long=81.43333333

Can anyone help?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Jupiter and venus.
sky and telescope have a good column of what to look for
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/ataglance

There is a good free screensaver called "The Sky" which shows all the stars and planets for your time and location
 
Saw this last night. It was a great view. I knew for sure one of them was Venus (so bright!), but wasn't sure about the other one. Thanks...
 
You Guys should check out the view on December 1st, when the moon joins them, some astronomers are calling it the 'best sky show' of the year!

Clear Skies

www.tonightssky.org
 
You can see the two planets converge on Dec1. They are just less than 2 degrees apart. European people can see the Venus eclipse on Dec 1 as well. The moon will occult Venus for a while.
 
Last edited: