1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Starting a Physics PhD years after undergraduate degree?

1. Aug 21, 2014 #1
    I’m graduating with a Physics degree next year but for various reasons I cannot go straight to grad school and get a PhD. I probably won’t be back to school for some time (I’m projecting 10-15 years). Will it be hard to start a Physics PhD after so long? Is there ageism in academia?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You will be surprised at how much of your education you will forget after 6 months if you don't keep applying it.

You don't say what you will be doing during these 10-15 years. This is a long time between bouts of school; who knows what your priorities will be that far into the future? If you acquire a family during that time, at the end of your fallow period, it will be time to plan your children's education rather than extending your own.

4. Aug 21, 2014 #3
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook