1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Starting Hydraulics! Recommendations?

1. Mar 18, 2010 #1

We've just started studying hydraulics at my uni. I'm finding the lecturer is going way to
    fast and was just wondering if anyone knows of a good hydraulics book that introduces you to the basic principles and concepts? I was in our library the other day an the books there semed to presume you had the basics....it felt as if they were missing something.

Thanks for any recommendations!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

Doesn't the course require or recommend a text?

4. Mar 18, 2010 #3
    yes it recommend "Urban Drainage, Butler & Davies (E & FN Spon). " whch is fine for half the course the second half... but i need something for an introduction to the basics etc.
  5. Mar 18, 2010 #4

Science Advisor

Basic hydraulics would most likely be covered in your Physics book and also most Fluid Mechanics books.

6. Mar 18, 2010 #5
    yea its a bit like any other subject but structural analysis is covered alot better in some books than others...im looking for the name of a book that covers the intro to hydraulics well although ive only looked at abou 3 or 4 books ive found them lacking in coherence
  7. Mar 18, 2010 #6
    Essentials of Engineering Hydraulics by J M K Dake
    has more english and less maths than most, although you will eventually need the maths.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook