Starting Hydraulics! Recommendations?

• Thread starter microbiek
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hi,

We've just started studying hydraulics at my uni. I'm finding the lecturer is going way to
fast and was just wondering if anyone knows of a good hydraulics book that introduces you to the basic principles and concepts? I was in our library the other day an the books there semed to presume you had the basics....it felt as if they were missing something.

Thanks for any recommendations!

Answers and Replies

stewartcs
Science Advisor
Hi,

We've just started studying hydraulics at my uni. I'm finding the lecturer is going way to
fast and was just wondering if anyone knows of a good hydraulics book that introduces you to the basic principles and concepts? I was in our library the other day an the books there semed to presume you had the basics....it felt as if they were missing something.

Thanks for any recommendations!
Doesn't the course require or recommend a text?

CS

yes it recommend "Urban Drainage, Butler & Davies (E & FN Spon). " whch is fine for half the course the second half... but i need something for an introduction to the basics etc.

stewartcs
Science Advisor
yes it recommend "Urban Drainage, Butler & Davies (E & FN Spon). " whch is fine for half the course the second half... but i need something for an introduction to the basics etc.
Basic hydraulics would most likely be covered in your Physics book and also most Fluid Mechanics books.

CS

yea its a bit like any other subject but structural analysis is covered alot better in some books than others...im looking for the name of a book that covers the intro to hydraulics well although ive only looked at abou 3 or 4 books ive found them lacking in coherence

Essentials of Engineering Hydraulics by J M K Dake
has more english and less maths than most, although you will eventually need the maths.