Stat/Thermo Problem - Equilibrium Pressure in Permeable Sphere

In summary, the problem involves a sphere full of air at room temperature and 1 atm being placed in a chamber filled with He gas at room temperature and 1 atm. The sphere is permeable to He only, and the equilibrium pressure in the sphere can be found using the ideal gas law. The approach used in the attempt at a solution is valid, but may be limited in accounting for certain complications. The suggestion is to also consider the entropy maximization approach in solving the problem.
conquertheworld5

Homework Statement

A sphere full of air at room temp and 1 atm is placed in a chamber filled with He gas at room temp and 1 atm. The sphere is permeable to He only. What will the equilibrium pressure in the sphere be?

Homework Equations

Variables:
Po=initial pressure
V=vol of sphere
V'=vol of chamber
Na=number of air particles
Nh=number of He particles

Ideal gas law: P=NRT/V

---------
I think that's all i need, but other eqs that might be relevant:

S=ln(Q) : entropy=ln(number of states)
dS/dE=1/T : derivative of entropy wrt Energy = 1/temp

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's what I think:

since He is a noble gas, we can assume it does not interact with the air particles. Therefore, at equilibrium, a single He molecule is equally likely to be found anywhere in the chamber (V'), which means that the mean number of He particles in the sphere (V) will be V/V'*Nh.

Then use the ideal gas law:
P=(V/V'*Nh+Na)RT/V

can also solve for Nh and Na initially in terms of Po, R, T and V or V':

Nh=PoV'/(RT), Na=PoV/(RT)

and then plug in, rearrange and reduce:

P=(Po/(RT))(V/V'*V'/V+V/V)*RT=Po(1+1)=2Po=2 atm

So, is there anything wrong with what I did? I don't know what the answer should be, but I'm not confident in my answer because my prof mentioned that we should start by maximizing entropy... which I could do, but this way seemed so much simpler. Suggestions? Any errors in my assumptions or approach? I don't find this material intuitive, so I could very well have made mistakes.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your approach is somewhat limited because it can't easily accommodate complications such as a chemical reaction (for example). As long as you can also apply the entropy maximization approach, though, I don't see a problem. In fact, I think it's great that you're attacking problems from different angles.

1. What is the Stat/Thermo Problem - Equilibrium Pressure in Permeable Sphere?

The Stat/Thermo Problem - Equilibrium Pressure in Permeable Sphere is a mathematical and physical problem that involves finding the equilibrium pressure inside a permeable sphere, which is a sphere with small holes that allow gas to pass through. This problem is commonly studied in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.

2. How is the equilibrium pressure inside a permeable sphere calculated?

The equilibrium pressure inside a permeable sphere is calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that pressure is equal to the product of the gas's temperature, volume, and number of moles, divided by the gas constant. This calculation takes into account the temperature, volume, and number of gas molecules inside the sphere, as well as the permeability of the sphere's walls.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium pressure in a permeable sphere?

The equilibrium pressure in a permeable sphere is affected by several factors, including the temperature of the gas, the volume of the sphere, the number of gas molecules inside the sphere, and the permeability of the sphere's walls. Changing any of these factors can alter the equilibrium pressure inside the sphere.

4. How does the equilibrium pressure change as the permeability of the sphere's walls increases?

As the permeability of the sphere's walls increases, the equilibrium pressure inside the sphere will decrease. This is because more gas molecules will be able to escape through the holes in the walls, leading to a lower number of gas molecules inside the sphere and therefore a lower pressure.

5. Why is the equilibrium pressure in a permeable sphere important to study?

The equilibrium pressure in a permeable sphere is an important concept in thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, as it helps us understand the behavior of gases in confined spaces. This problem also has practical applications, such as in the design of gas storage containers and in the study of gas transport through porous materials.