1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statement of Purpose, Medical Physics

1. Jan 28, 2009 #1
    I'm applying to Masters in Medical Physics, and I just found out that my application requires a statement of purpose. They describe it thus:

I need it in asap, any advice on writing a good one? How long should it be? What should I mention in it? I've got two days to get it in, any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2009 #2

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

In general these are about one page long, although you can always contact the specific department to get an idea of what they are expecting.

Basically it's just an answer to the question you posted. The admissions committee wants to know why you're interested in the program, what your academic and career goals are, and some background information to know where you are coming from. They can use this information to gauge how motivated you are, how much you know about what you're getting into, and estimate how successful you will be in the program. Also, it puts some personality into the application so that you're more than just a numerical score.

I would include information about any research experience you have, classes that you particularly enjoyed, accomplishments that you're particularly proud of, obstacles you've overcome, as well as projects that you're potentially interested in and why.

4. Jan 29, 2009 #3
    Thanks, wish me luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?