Statics and Mechanics question, for Engg 205 at U Calgary.

In summary, the 64-m-tall tower is supported by three cables with forces of 2.52 kN each, labeled Fab, Fac, Fad. The problem asks to express the total force exerted on the tower in terms of components. One attempt at a solution involves finding the direction cosines for each triangle and multiplying them by the total magnitude to find the x, y, and z components. The conversation then shifts to requesting position vectors for points C, B, and D with respect to point A.
ps123

Homework Statement

The 64-m-tall tower is supported by three cables that exert forces Fab,Fac,Fad and on it. The magnitude of each force is 2.52 kN. Express the total force exerted on the tower by the three cables in terms of components.

http://phga.pearsoncmg.com/phga2/web/BeEnMeSt001/Public_Html/Chapter02/aaccbhb0.jpg

Homework Equations

N/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to split them into their components so that I take every triangle and try to find the direction cosines and times that by the total magnitute to find the x, y and z magnitudes but I don't think that's right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Show me your positions vectors for C, B and D with respect to A.

I would approach this problem by first defining the problem and identifying the knowns and unknowns. The problem is to determine the total force exerted on the tower by the three cables in terms of components. The knowns are the height of the tower (64 m), the magnitude of each force (2.52 kN), and the diagram showing the angles and directions of the forces. The unknowns are the total force and its components.

Next, I would use vector analysis to find the total force. This involves adding the three forces together using the parallelogram law of vector addition. The magnitude of the total force can be found by using the Pythagorean theorem. Once the total force is found, its components can be determined by using trigonometric functions and the given angles in the diagram.

Finally, I would check my solution for reasonableness and accuracy. This can be done by making sure the components add up to the total force and by checking if the components make sense in the context of the problem.

In conclusion, solving this problem requires a thorough understanding of vector analysis and trigonometry. It is important to carefully define the problem and use the correct equations and techniques to find the solution. it is also important to check the solution for reasonableness and accuracy.

What is statics and mechanics?

Statics and mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the analysis of forces and the effect of those forces on bodies at rest or in motion. It is an important field of study for engineers as it helps in understanding the behavior and stability of structures and machines.

What are the main topics covered in Engg 205 at U Calgary?

The main topics covered in Engg 205 at U Calgary include statics, dynamics, and mechanics of materials. This course will cover concepts such as equilibrium, free-body diagrams, trusses, beams, and the analysis of simple structures under different types of loading.

Why is it important for engineers to study statics and mechanics?

Engineers use statics and mechanics principles to design and analyze structures and machines to ensure they can withstand different forces and remain stable. It is crucial for engineers to have a solid understanding of these concepts in order to create safe and functional designs.

What are some real-world applications of statics and mechanics?

Statics and mechanics principles are applied in various industries such as construction, aerospace, automotive, and robotics. They are used to design and analyze buildings, bridges, airplanes, cars, and other structures and machines to ensure their safety and functionality.

What are some common challenges students face when studying statics and mechanics?

Some common challenges students face when studying statics and mechanics include understanding the abstract concepts, applying the principles to real-world problems, and visualizing the forces and their effects on structures. It is important to practice and seek help when needed to overcome these challenges.