1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical mechanics: Sums of exponentials with sums.

1. Sep 24, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm working through an example from class and the textbook, but I'm confused about how the steps progress mathematically.

The example involves the Gibb's partition for a paramagnet.

[tex] \sum_{s} exp(\beta \mu B \sum_{i}^{N} s) [/tex]

Where s = -a,-a+1...a for each spin.

Am I right in thinking the sum in the exponent is a sum over this particles in the sample (N). Since a sum in an exponent is a product of the exponentials we get:

[tex] [\sum_{s} exp(\beta \mu B s)]^{N} [/tex]

However, I'm not sure what do with the second sum. I can't see a neat way proceed. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2011 #2

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The second sum is a sum over spin states. If you're dealing with quantum systems with a discrete number of spin states, then it's probably best to write the sum explicitly and re-express the result in a more simple form. HINT: use some hyperbolic trig identities.

If you are treating the spin classically and the value of s can take on any value [itex]s_o cos( \theta )[/itex] (where theta is the angle from the z axis), then your best best will be to convert the sum to an integral in theta.

4. Sep 27, 2011 #3
    Thanks for the response. I'm treating the spins as quantum. I managed to solve the taking out the factor of a and treating the rest as a geometric series i.e.

[tex][e^{-\beta\mu B a} \sum_{s=1}^{(2a+1)} exp(\beta \mu B s)]^{N} [/tex]

Which, using the formula for the sum of a finite geometric series gives:

[tex][e^{-\beta\mu B a} \frac{1-e^{(2a+1)\beta\mu B}}{1-e^{\beta \mu B}}]^{N}[/tex]

Problem, is I can't seem to resolve that down to a hyperbolic function and I'm sure it should. Any ideas?

5. Sep 27, 2011 #4

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Oh ok. So, your dealing with a quantum spin system of arbitrary integer or half integer spin, not just spin 1/2. That makes it slightly more complicated but, not by too much.

The sum of the finite geometric series is the way to go.

I don't think the partition function can be simplified directly to a single hyperbolic trig function as it stands, but for large values of a, your expectation values for the Energy, Magnetization, Specific heat, etc. definitely can be.

Try this: Keep the partition function in exponential form, but simplify and multiply through the exponential,[itex]e^{-\beta \mu B a}[/itex]. Take [itex]\frac{\partial Z}{\partial \beta}[/itex] with everything in exponential form. Then you can use that, along with Z to find all the state variable expectation values. Then for large a, these quantities will be expressible in terms of only hyperbolic trig functions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook