Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical test, samples of very different sizes

1. Jul 12, 2009 #1
    So, I am working with a professor on some astronomy research. I need two compare two samples but one of them has a much smaller size due to the lack of observations.

The samples have about 5 parameters. I don't know much about statistics but from reading so far I think the Kolmogorov–Smirnov test would be the most appropriate.

Is that correct or is there any other tests I might want to look into? I need to see if the two samples are the same despite the fact that one is drawn from a smaller data set.

thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2009 #2

statdad

Homework Helper

Do you mean you need to investigate the underlying distributions - do the two samples come from the same probability distribution?

Couple questions:
    1) What are the sample sizes?
    2) The parameters that need to be estimated - what are they?

4. Jul 14, 2009 #3
    1. The samples are planets orbiting different type stars. One of the types of stars has planets inherently harder to observe so its sample is smaller but I want to see if the distribution of the different types of planets for the two star types despite this difference
    2. The parameters are things like mass, period, eccentrity, semi-major axis etc.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook