Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistician analyzes paranormal predictions

1. Sep 13, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2007 #2

Gold Member

Interesting stuff, but I wish the article would give more info on methods. An 'unknown object' could be anything. If the object was an obvious choice for the people conducting the investigation, perhaps it was something the subjects were more likely to guess. Perhaps guessing a number generated by a random number generator would be easier to investigate.

A personal anecdote though- I had a friend in high school who claimed some kind of remote viewing powers, so we tested him. Another friend drew the BMW logo and hid it from him. I'm pretty sure he never saw it. Within a couple of minutes the guy had managed to draw the shape of it and he said that he knew there were letters but couldn't tell what they were. I was impressed. He was talking about it as he went though, so I don't rule out him reading our reactions about his guesses and piecing it together that way.
  4. Sep 13, 2007 #3
    Ay, I loathe describing this one personal experience. I mean, after my UFO sighting and living in a haunted house, I might as well just toss my credibility into the pond. But what the hey...

Back when I was I think an eighth grader, I was at the elementary school for the ten/fifteen minute wait for my transfer bus home. I had some current interest in ESP, and maybe that's what prompted me to do this. I walked around in a wooded area where the kids played during their recesses, but with my eyes closed and looking straight ahead. Which was a bit risky since tree roots were rampant. At some point I stopped, looked down, and picked up what looked like a rock. It was in the ground a bit, but once I dug it out I saw that it was a Cub Scout neckerchief slide. I took it in to a teacher and returned to the wooded area, hoping to pull it off again, maybe finding some lunch money. Three more times in a row, without fail, I stopped just in front of yet more slides. Now, that in itself was strange. And looking at them each I didn't know what they were until I cleaned off the mud. After sharing this with the teacher, my enthusiasm waned when she seemed unimpressed. Come to think of it in retrospect, maybe she thought I was pulling her leg.

On the other hand, if someone had a box full of slides that somehow got tossed out there, well it's not so strange then in that case.

I've since tried to duplicate similar results, but to no avail. Personally, I'm not convinced that there's anything paranormal about it. If it's real, I'd describe it as a kind of peripheral sense, maybe something that developed on the side when we were ancient hunters or gatherers. Maybe like a coalescence of our senses. Perhaps any percieved rewards has an influence. In any case, I don't see much use for it unless we can fully develop it. And I'm very pessimistic about that for I think obvious reasons.
  5. Sep 13, 2007 #4
    And I quote "I don't know! A couple of squiggly lines?!"

So they averaged the studies and about 30% of the time these people could guess an object at random, any object? Seems like either there is something crazy, or the press is misinterpreting the statistics.

PS. I also hate statistical articles that list no relevant information.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?