Stellar Nucleosynthesis - From Inanimate to Alive

In summary: Jill Tartar, "The fact that non living, inanimate things such as stars could very well be the factories of life, when given enough time."
Shayne T
If the suggestion that all matter, or the vast majority of matter, that makes up the Earth and everything on it, including humans, was originally forged within dying stars and their resulting supernovae, meaning that we are literally constructed from stardust, would the following statement be accurate?

“We, all of us, are what happens when a primordial mixture of hydrogen and helium evolves for so long that it begins to ask where it came from.”

This was said by Jill Tartar at a TED talk a few years back, and is the most beautiful sentence I have ever
heard. The fact that non living, inanimate things such as stars could very well be the factories of life, when given enough time. The fact that evolution is not confined to biological beings, but is evident in non-living systems which eventually evolve to the point where life becomes possible. The fact that life and the cosmos are one and the same, in the sense that the universe is within as, as much as we are within it

Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.astro.uni-koeln.de/cdms/molecules
Molecules in Space

I discovered this site shortly after it was started and have been fascinated with it ever since. When i was in high school in the early '60's we didn't have GATE programs, but the schools on the Monterey Peninsula tried to have us track with researchers in fields we seemed to be interested in. At the time, mine was biochemistry/biomedical and I was mentored by Joshua Lederberg at Stanford. He quickly saw that I wasn't all that keen on fruit flies and genetics and suggested I consider exobiology. He said something to the effect that the key to the origin of life and evolution was "out there". While i never worked in astrobiology, it has remained of great interest. It's also been useful in understanding deep carbon and potentially primordial hydrocarbons in the inner earth.

"Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people."

Edward Harrison in the Smithsonian Magazine, December 1995.

Likes Drakkith
Shayne T said:
If the suggestion that all matter, or the vast majority of matter, that makes up the Earth and everything on it, including humans, was originally forged within dying stars and their resulting supernovae, meaning that we are literally constructed from stardust, would the following statement be accurate?

“We, all of us, are what happens when a primordial mixture of hydrogen and helium evolves for so long that it begins to ask where it came from.”

It's accurate in a broad sense, yes.

GeorgeDishman said:
"Hydrogen is a light, odorless gas, which, given enough time, turns into people."

Edward Harrison in the Smithsonian Magazine, December 1995.

Amazing quote

1. What is stellar nucleosynthesis?

Stellar nucleosynthesis is the process by which elements are created within stars through nuclear reactions. It is responsible for the formation of all elements from hydrogen and helium to the heavier elements such as carbon, oxygen, and iron.

2. How does stellar nucleosynthesis occur?

Stellar nucleosynthesis occurs through a series of nuclear fusion reactions, where lighter elements combine to form heavier elements. This process requires extremely high temperatures and pressures, which are only found in the cores of stars.

3. What is the role of stars in stellar nucleosynthesis?

Stars play a crucial role in stellar nucleosynthesis as they provide the necessary conditions for nuclear fusion to occur. As stars age, they go through various stages of nuclear fusion and produce different elements, eventually leading to the creation of heavier elements.

4. How does stellar nucleosynthesis contribute to the diversity of elements in the universe?

Stellar nucleosynthesis is responsible for creating the vast majority of elements in the universe. It is through this process that elements are spread throughout space, allowing for the diversity of elements found in different regions of the universe.

5. Can stellar nucleosynthesis be observed?

While we cannot directly observe stellar nucleosynthesis, we can indirectly study it through observations of stars and their elemental compositions. Scientists also use computer simulations and laboratory experiments to better understand the process and its effects on the universe.