Sterilizing Blood Serum - Autoclaving at 121°C

  • Thread starter Thread starter leena19
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Biology
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
leena19
Messages
184
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Which of the following methods is suitable to sterilize a liquid medium,containing blood serum?
(1) pasteurization (2) Autoclaving at 121degrees celsius for 10 minutes (3) Boiling at 100 degree celsius for 10 minutes (4) Filtration using a sterile membrane filter (5) Freezing at -20 degrees celsius
Ans given is (2)

Homework Equations


n/a



The Attempt at a Solution


I don't understand why it can't be (4).Why can't we use a sterile filter to sterilize blood serum,afterall sterilization is to remove or kill any microorganisms present in a medium,right?
My other question is,isn't blood serum a thermolabile medium so how can we sterilize it by heating it,without denaturing any of the plasma proteins present?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is in blood serum? What is it used for? Are you sure you want to filter everything away?

As for denaturation, yes some of that will happen, but I think you can be sure the temperature and time for autoclaving is carefully chosen and optimized for its purposes.
 
Are you sure you want to filter everything away?
I didn't think of it that way.
Thanks.now I understand,why we can't use a filter.