Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stochastic Matrices in Cosmology

1. Sep 17, 2015 #1
    Good afternoon all,

I'm taking a linear algebra course this semester, and upon entering the topic of 'Applications of Matrix Operations', my professor has given our class the opportunity to earn some extra credit points by writing a paragraph or two on the application of stochastic matrices in any particular field we like.

I'd really like to find some kind of material on some applications of stochastic matrices in cosmology, but unfortunately a large majority of the content out there is locked out from public access without shelling out a hefty fee to some organization or institute.

Could any professionals out there give just a small handful of examples of these kinds of matrices in cosmology or astrophysics? Or even better, shoot a link or two to some interesting tidbits of info on this topic? It would be very highly appreciated.

Thanks, and enjoy your upcoming weekends!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2015 #2

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Most cosmology papers have free preprints available at arxiv.org. http://scholar.google.com is also very useful for finding free copies of scientific papers in general, if they exist online.

4. Sep 17, 2015 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I addition to what Chalnoth said, university libraries often subscribe to relevant journals. You may want to check with your university library to see if things that are behind a paywall when you search on your own is available at your university.

5. Sep 18, 2015 #4

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Or any computer on campus, really.

As for the OP, sorry that I don't have anything more specific to add. I haven't ever encountered stochastic matrices in cosmology.

6. Sep 18, 2015 #5

Garth

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Implications of the Reduction Principle for Cosmological Natural Selection maybe?

etc.

Garth

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  7. Sep 18, 2015 #6

Chalnoth

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook