Can We Collaboratively Write a Story?

• Thread starter omicron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: Wait...-ing for the intergalactic bus to the Radnuxean Galaxy, where jellyfish are purple, was a drunken bum of priceless proportions. His name was something like Joak the Bloke of Eritrea, who ate a pea a day.
Mr. T. He was in a...

Physics news on Phys.org
bad story written 5 words at a time

saying, "I pity the fools, who"

said my mama was so fat she..

had to arrange a crane...

could only type 5 words before...

plover said:
could only type 5 words before...
asking, "what about my mama?"

I feel we are probably ready to publish. Who wants to go back and compile everything. I know I'm not going to, I haven't even read pages 3-7.

Here is my barely edited compilation, the first few paragraphs were already compiled by Ethereal on the bottom of page 4, so I just continued from his/her start.

Compilation:

At the brink of night, just out of sight, was a stranger in fright. I ran outside to investigate. That's when I heard the lady next door yell "What are you doing?!" So I told her, "I am searching for the golden apron of fortitude. This Apron when electrified, can turn soil and rocks into peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, wheat, rice corn, oats and morph into a 300 pound purple people-eater that likes to sing children songs and dance on green tomatoes. All the frolick like an elf while using humans like toothpicks.

He pokes people with toothpicks while strapping on his nuclear-powered aluminium foil deflector beanie, which was given by that girl to protect him from the feeling of loneliness, he felt since the nuclear powered beanie made him sterile, so he went to Tadpoles-R-Us where he was injected with a nuff tadpoles to fill..."Wait!", he yelled, "What are you doing with that really long...what the?!"

Next Elvis walked in with a red cape on. He grabbed the purple people-eater, the long what the?!, and the keys to the limo. Meanwhile, across town the armadilo and kangaroo swaggered into the local kangaroo/armadilo bar. But before they had a chance to order, they broke the 5-word limit, incurring the wrath of the word limit deities that spit martini. However, this time they had rum instead of gin and visited the underworld where they saw a sticky slimy bob thingy. Or rather, a slime Bob secreted was found bubbling moodily near a ravenous alien.

Waiting for the intergalactic bus to the Radnuxean Galaxy, where jellyfish are purple, was a drunken bum of priceless proportions. His name was something like Joak the Bloke of Eritrea, who Ate a Pea a Day.

The limo pulled up. Joak pulled out his laptop and showed it to Elvis, who was quite stoned. The monitor displayed the site, "Physics Forums" but it all looked Greek to the young man eating and the girl sucking a rather long line of complaining people who were waiting to get under the man's body because he had a really big snot hanging from his "Eeew! That's disgusting," the girl said. This caused the man to redefine his existing concepts of physics so that he can acquire a better understanding of working of his laptop. This new knowledge led him to publish the theory of special education, for the benefit of those who need to be special.

Meanwhile, back in line was this crazy lookin' yardstick. It had three feet of pure love. One woman who walked too close to a black hole and was falling down, when suddenly Einstein and Hawking popped out of the black hole and touched the girl's frisky jibbly bits, and she slapped him squarely across the posturing posterior post-haste, possibly passively pestering post-humous pedantics partaking of her pensive personality. "Perplexing," she puzzled. "Where's that purple people eater?" "And why not eat me?" 'Its actually in chemistry Lab Eating silver nitrate poisoned people for supper", said the nutty mad scientist who loves to get sucked his long, curved, silken-skinned toothbrush he only uses for wiping his hairy, dirty toe nails that are objects of delight for sprinkles on a cake, which happens to be oozing with voluptuous mounds of mocha mousse seeming to tempt the mad scientist to exfoliate. Instead, he ran. So, he bounced right onto the Bubbling experiment.

Meanwhile, the toothbrush sat unused, languishing from not realizing its full potential. The Mad Scientist thought, "wait a minute, a toothbrush has the right to a fullfilling existence too!" and so picked up the depressed toothbrush, and took it downtown to the drugstore hoping to find it a pink toothbrush to boogie with. Having done this the resulting litter of toothpicks began their dangerous march towards a life of toothpaste abuse and 2nd grade arts & crafts.

The runt of the litter, "Call me, Sliver," was the meanest; He'll give you a splinter with a dash of salt. He's mean. Then there's his brother, Chip. Chip was as dumb as his brother was mean. He wandered into a kindergarten class of beavers, who quickly built a model dam with most of Chip's mom's side of the family and some frozen brocolli.

By the way, whatever happened to Ivan after that horrible incident involving his mouse clicking finger and the splinter? Where were we? “Right BEHIND YOU,” screamed the casual observer. And behold there he saw the artist formerly known as Mr. T. He was in a bad story written 5 words at a time saying, "I pity the fools, who" said my mama was so fat she had to arrange a crane could only type 5 words before asking, "what about my mama?"

I'm amazed.
What a rotten piece of crap.

lol, yeah it is quite terrible :mad:

We should start a new one :biggrin:

With or without plot?

how about a list of characters. Hero, Bad guy, sidekick, etc

A plot sounds like a good idea, it could provide a good structure. So yes, with plot.

Characters sound good too :smile:

But I am no creative genius, but I know you are so shoot out some character names, and their traits and a plot and let's get this started :cool:

Maiden-in-distress plot?

screw that, then I take the fall for a crappy story. I'll name a character, then someone else can.
Hawk Steevings-Occupation:Genius Superhero
Hobbies:long distance running and public speaking
dislikes:commies, speed bumps and paradox
Favorite Quote: "You have your Daddy's eyes. I've come to take them back."

ok plot will be Maiden in distress

ok tribdog, everyone will name a character lol

Name: Joe Johnson (male)
Good long time friend of Maiden in distress' husband/boyfriend (maybe a went to school together relationship)
Hobbies: Fishing, Football
Dislikes: commies (too)
Age 38-Scorpio

Since we seem to have an anti commie like theme. How about a communist person took the maiden in distress?

Last edited:
What if the commie WAS the maiden-in-distress?
(Say, one of those sports "ladies" from good ole DDR?)

Is Joe Johnson the alterego of Hawk?
mild mannered Joe hears trouble, removes his contact lenses to reveal superhero Hawk.
I like the commie maiden in distress
Valerie Bertenelli Von Halenstein, Age-29 Sign:*****
Turn ons:Stalin style goatees
Turn offs:Gulags and apple pie
Favorite Quote: "Cobbler Workers of the World. Untie"

Last edited:
I think we need a villian for the story:
Dragana Tribdogovitch, female, age 42
Hobbies: kicking puppies and plotting to take over the world
Turn-ons: not much, but she'll pretend anything to get her enemies into bed and spilling their secrets
Turn-offs: do-gooders

lol, ouch. you want to go there huh? let's see
Moonie, F, 4, feline
Hobbies: coughing up hairballs
Turn-ons:sudden movement and shiny things
Turn-offs:constantly in heat, so no one knows
Favorite Song: "Meow, meow,meow,meow" theme to Meow Mix
Favorite Book: "Of Mice and Men"
Favorite Quote: "If I was king of the Forrrrrest. I'd ruuuff and I'd huurrf...Rhinocerous? Preposterous. Hippotamus? I'd knock him from top to bottumus."

Moonbear said:
I think we need a villian for the story:
Dragana Tribdogovitch, female, age 42
Hobbies: kicking puppies and plotting to take over the world
Turn-ons: not much, but she'll pretend anything to get her enemies into bed and spilling their secrets
Would that include Valerie Von Halenstein, or is she a do-gooder?

Hmm..on second thought, Evo will probably close down some lurid lesbian witch story pretty fast
PF is, after all, a family forum..

I'd been thinking of posting a story idea taken from one of my favorite jokes. I thought it would be fun to allow up to a paragraph per contribution. Should I post the joke (in a new thread)?

Les Sleeth said:
I'd been thinking of posting a story idea taken from one of my favorite jokes. I thought it would be fun to allow up to a paragraph per contribution. Should I post the joke (in a new thread)?

Anything more than a 5-word limit! It's hard to get far when you can't even write a complete sentence.

Okay so far, we have Joe Johnson, who turns into the superhero, Hawk Steevings, destroyer of paradox.

Then there's the evil Dragana Tribdogovitch who runs about tormenting puppies, much to the sinister satisfaction of her feline companion, Moonie.

Caught in the middle is the maiden in distress, Valerie Bertenelli von Halenstein (her Scandinavian neighbors call her Val-Halla, 'cause she's heavenly).

What twisted tale brings these curious characters together ?

Read on to find out...

(any other structural rules to establish ? word limits etc. ? 10 words ?)

Hmm...is 10 words per person enough? I know 5 was way too few! :wink:

Yeah, I think 25 is better. That way, you can make one full sentence and at least part of another.

But if we use 25, should we forbid part sentences, or does that make it more fun ?

Gokul43201 said:
Yeah, I think 25 is better. That way, you can make one full sentence and at least part of another.

But if we use 25, should we forbid part sentences, or does that make it more fun ?

Part sentences are okay, I think, and 25 words should be enough to get the story rolling enough for someone else to pick it up.

[Let's get started then]

'Twas the night before Christmas. The waves crashing into the rugged, ice-free coastline just north of Murmansk reminded Valerie of the cheering crowds...

Gokul43201 said:
'Twas the night before Christmas. The waves crashing into the rugged, ice-free coastline just north of Murmansk reminded Valerie of the cheering crowds...

... of the political convention, but Valerie was not interested. She was encapsulated with reading "In Exile" by Anton Chekhov and reminiscing of her past when ...

the sudden jangling of the telephone startled her. She jumped, knocking her book to the floor. As she reached for the novel a shadow swept

behind her, unseen. She felt a chill run down her spine, and pulled a blanket closer to her chin. She didn't know where the draft...

board got off, telling her she couldn't join the Salvation Army. The phone rang again, the shadow shadowed again. Reaching for the phone

she stumbled over a dark cat-like thing. It was a cat. "Yikes", screeched the cat, before it darted away, taking its shadow with it. But

leaving a moist hairball in its place. Valerie looked at the hairball and nearly fainted as it began to speak. "Your mission, should you choose to accept it is