Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Strange Time Travel Stories on Ars Technica

1. Jul 2, 2017 #1

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

https://arstechnica.com/the-multive...e-travel-stories-from-sci-fis-modern-masters/

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2017 #2

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jul 4, 2017 #3
    I have only started to scan the stories, and I find it quite entertaining to see all the visions of the 2037 future. So far from what I have read, and from the tittles of the stories I have not yet read, I get the impression that all the writers are optimistic. For example, nothing that I have seen so far deals with 20 years of (1) not much happening to slow global warming, (2) reduced political interest in maintaining infrastructure, and (3) increasing movement towards secession dividing large political groups into segments. Also, so far I have seen nothing like the San Fransisco setting of "Blade Runner".

5. Aug 5, 2017 #4

jedishrfu

There's a science fiction writing contest going on right now called Seat14C sponsored by the XPrize folks and Japan's ANA Airlines.

It's to be an anthology collection of stories by some famous sci fi authors and with one slot reserved for an aspiring author all starting with the same premise of a flight from Tokyo to SFO that is transported 20 years into the future. They want you to imagine what the future will be like once you get off the plane.

Details of the competition are at the website: www.seat14C.com

Here's an online WIRED article about it as well:

https://www.wired.com/beyond-the-beyond/2017/06/seat-14c-jets-future/

6. Aug 13, 2017 #5

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Story submitted... :nb)

7. Sep 25, 2017 #6

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The winner will be announced in two more days. Jedishrfu and I have both submitted stories. It would be pretty awesome if one of us won. :wideeyed:

8. Sep 25, 2017 #7

jedishrfu

Yes that would be awesome.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted