Strong Flavor Dynamics for tops questions

• Thread starter ChrisVer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary: This could suggest a different underlying mechanism for the third generation, possibly related to the Higgs field.In summary, The paper "A Model for Strong Flavor Dynamics for the Top Quark" by Ehab Malkawi, Tim Tait, and C.--P. Yuan discusses the inconsistencies of the Rc and Rb measurements with the predictions of the Standard Model and suggests that these measurements should be taken seriously. The authors propose that these inconsistencies could be explained by new physics and explore possible effects that may influence the measurements. Additionally, the paper mentions the large mass ratio of the third generation quarks compared to the first two generations, which could indicate a different underlying mechanism for the third generation, potentially related to the Higgs field.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
I was reading through this paper:
A Model for Strong Flavor Dynamics for the Top Quark
Ehab Malkawi, Tim Tait, C.--P. Yuan
It's pretty old, so maybe some things might have changed...

I have two questions.
Q1:
I quote from abstract:
If one takes the Rb data seriously
and from intro
If one takes the above measurements seriously, one can advocate specific types of new physics which tackle these experimental concerns
Were (or are) the measurments that showed the inconsistencies (to SM predictions) of Rc and Rb considered non-serious? In fact reading in a paper "taking those measurements seriously" made me giggle and think if I should take what's written "seriously" (or if I am badly mistaken).

Q2:

And finally I don't really understand the mass-hierarchy for the fermion mass spectrum (again mentioned in the intro).
The relatively large mass of the third generation fermions may suggest a dynamical behavior different from that of the first two generations
The top quark mass is relatively as larger to charm quark mass (3rd to 2nd), as charm is to up (2nd to 1st)... In numbers:
[itex] \frac{m_t}{m_c} \approx 134 ~~,~~ \frac{m_c}{m_u} \approx 561 [/itex]
Any idea? Or is the "relative" mass compared to something else (like the QCD scale)?

Physics news on Phys.org
See the introduction of the first paper for references and significances. 3.5 and 2.5 sigma, respectively - something that can be a statistical fluctuation, but it could also be a hint of something new. The paper is discussing effects that can influence the value, but you can say "I don't take that 'seriously', it is probably just a statistical fluctuation".

The quark masses have a huge ratio for the third generation if you compare everything to the first generation, e.g. charm/up ~ 550, while top/up ~ 75000.

1. What is strong flavor dynamics for tops?

Strong flavor dynamics for tops is a theory in particle physics that explains the interactions between the top quark, the heaviest known fundamental particle, and other particles. It is a fundamental component of the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. How does strong flavor dynamics affect the behavior of top quarks?

Strong flavor dynamics plays a crucial role in the behavior of top quarks. It governs the way top quarks interact with other fundamental particles, such as gluons, and dictates the processes in which top quarks are produced and decay.

3. What are the implications of strong flavor dynamics for top quarks?

The implications of strong flavor dynamics for top quarks are far-reaching. It helps us understand the nature of the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding quarks together. It also sheds light on the origin of mass and the hierarchy of masses among different particles.

4. Can strong flavor dynamics be observed in experiments?

Yes, strong flavor dynamics has been experimentally verified through a number of high-energy particle collisions. For example, the production and decay of top quarks have been observed at the Large Hadron Collider, providing evidence for the existence and behavior of strong flavor dynamics.

5. How does strong flavor dynamics impact our understanding of the universe?

Strong flavor dynamics is crucial for our understanding of the universe, as it is a fundamental aspect of the Standard Model of particle physics. By studying the behavior of top quarks and other particles, we can gain insight into the fundamental forces and building blocks of the universe, and potentially uncover new physics beyond the Standard Model.