1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Structural Formulas for all the (C5H11OH) alcohols

1. Jul 11, 2007 #1
    Given: Draw structural formulas for all the alcohols that have the molecular formula C5H11OH. Name each one and classify them as primary, secondary, or tertiary alcohols. Describe how they are formed and give two uses for this type of alcohol.

Solution: I am still at the naming portion but this is what I have come up with.

2-pentanol (1-methyl-1-butanol)

Is there any that I am missing? Is the naming ok? Different sources seem to use different methods.
    For example: one source may refer to 2-methyl-1-butanol as 2-methylbutanol while another calls it 2-methyl butan-1-ol
    I am not such which method is more correct (as far as Canadian usage).
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2007 #2

Alcohols with the molecular formula C5H11OH are collectively known as Amyl Alcohols.
  4. Jul 12, 2007 #3
    for the naming part there is the IUPAC(international union for pure and applied chemistry) which gives the namings. i believe the IUPAC uses the 2 methyl butan - 1 - ol naming.

e.g. instead of 1-pentanol, it would've been pentan-1-ol. i'm pretty sure you got all of them....
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?