1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic Chem - Synthesis of alcohols

1. Apr 17, 2007 #1
    After drawing the 8 alcohols with the formula C5H11OH, I'm asked to "Describe how they are formed and give two uses for this type of alcohol."

The only example in my text for this is the hydration of an alkene which, at a glance, wouldn't make sense for 2,2-dimethyl 1 propanol. Is this one just the exception or am I just digging too deep intop a topic that is rather lightly covered?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You obviously can't make an alcohol from an alkene in this system. What other chemistry do you know that could lead to an alcohol?

4. Apr 18, 2007 #3
    Well my continued searching brought me to the terms hydroboration, oxymercuration and grignand reaction, so considering none of these terms are present in my text, I'd say I'm taking this question further than intended. Thanks though!

5. Apr 18, 2007 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can reduce an ester or aldehyde to produce a primary alcohol. I don't think that the grignard route will result in a primary alcohol. You can also displace a primary halogenated hydrocarbon to make an alcohol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?