• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Stuck in an Infinite Square Well

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
1. Homework Statement

You don't need it verbatim. I'm just trying to solve for the eigenstates and eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian for a one-dimensional infinite square well, with a particle of mass M inside. I'm embarrassed to say it, but the question is throwing me off because the infinite well is centred at zero, ranging from -b < x < b rather than from 0 < x < a.

2. Homework Equations

[tex] \mathcal{H}\psi(x) = E\psi(x) [/tex]

[tex] \mathcal{H} \equiv -\frac{\hbar^2}{2M}\frac{d^2 }{dx^2}\left(\right) + V() [/tex]

[tex] V = 0 \ \ \mbox{inside the well.} [/tex]

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Immediately from the ODE the solution is obviously:

[tex] \psi(x) = A \sin \left(\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}x\right) + B \cos \left(\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}x\right) [/tex]

[tex] \psi(b) = \psi(-b) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow A \sin \left(\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}b\right) + B \cos \left(\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}b\right) =0 [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow -A \sin \left(\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}b\right) + B \cos \left(\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}b\right) =0 [/tex]

I'm really not sure how to proceed. There is no value of b for which both the sine and cosine will be zero, suggesting that for some eigenstates, A is zero, and for others, B is zero. Griffiths even hints that even states are given by only cosines and odd states by sines, but I can't figure out how to arrive at this result systematically.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Meir Achuz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I recommend you use a variable z=x+b. Then the well will be between
z=0 and z=2b, with the efunction sin(n\pi z/2b).