1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck in an Infinite Square Well

1. Jan 21, 2007 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You don't need it verbatim. I'm just trying to solve for the eigenstates and eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian for a one-dimensional infinite square well, with a particle of mass M inside. I'm embarrassed to say it, but the question is throwing me off because the infinite well is centred at zero, ranging from -b < x < b rather than from 0 < x < a.

2. Relevant equations

[tex] \mathcal{H}\psi(x) = E\psi(x) [/tex]

[tex] \mathcal{H} \equiv -\frac{\hbar^2}{2M}\frac{d^2 }{dx^2}\left(\right) + V() [/tex]

[tex] V = 0 \ \ \mbox{inside the well.} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Immediately from the ODE the solution is obviously:

[tex] \psi(x) = A \sin \left(\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}x\right) + B \cos \left(\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}x\right) [/tex]

[tex] \psi(b) = \psi(-b) = 0 [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow A \sin \left(\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}b\right) + B \cos \left(\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}b\right) =0 [/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow -A \sin \left(\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}b\right) + B \cos \left(\frac{\sqrt{2ME}}{\hbar}b\right) =0 [/tex]

I'm really not sure how to proceed. There is no value of b for which both the sine and cosine will be zero, suggesting that for some eigenstates, A is zero, and for others, B is zero. Griffiths even hints that even states are given by only cosines and odd states by sines, but I can't figure out how to arrive at this result systematically.
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2007 #2

Meir Achuz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I recommend you use a variable z=x+b. Then the well will be between
    z=0 and z=2b, with the efunction sin(n\pi z/2b).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?