Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stuck on one of the substitution method steps

1. Jan 27, 2013 #1
    I put it in std form, did the homogeneous test. it passed with degree 2. I substituted y=ux and dy=udx+xdu and now I'm stuck. it needs to be simplified somehow but I don't know if ux is one var or if it's u*x. Same goes for udx and xdu. Is it really u*dx+x*du? even assuming that is correct, it doesn't get any simpler. What does the next step look like for this problem?

52ck6vx.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2013 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

That is good so far, the substitution has transformed the equation into separable form, divide to complete separation.

$$\frac{\mathrm{f}(u)\mathrm{g}(x) \mathrm{dx}+\mathrm{p}(u) \mathrm{q}(x)\mathrm{du}}{\mathrm{f}(u) \mathrm{q}(x)}=\frac{\mathrm{g}(x)}{\mathrm{q}(x)}\mathrm{dx}+\frac{\mathrm{p}(u) }{\mathrm{f}(u)}\mathrm{du}$$

$$\frac{((ux)^2-2x^2)\mathrm{dx}+2x(ux)(x \mathrm{du}+u\mathrm{dx})}{x^3(3u^2-2)}=\frac{\mathrm{dx}}{x}+\frac{2u\mathrm{du}}{3u^2-2}=0$$

4. Jan 27, 2013 #3
    Where did you get the denominator x3(3u2-2) from?

What does f(u), g(x), p(u), and q(x) each equal?

5. Jan 27, 2013 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

In this example
    [tex]\mathrm{f}(u)=3u^2-2 \\
    \mathrm{g}(x)=x^2 \\
    \mathrm{p}(u)=2u \\
    \mathrm{q}(x)=x^3 [/tex]

This is just separation of variables
    $$((ux)^2-2x^2)\mathrm{dx}+2x(ux)(x \mathrm{du}+u\mathrm{dx})=(3u^2-2)(x^2)\mathrm{dx}+(2u)(x^3)\mathrm{du}$$
    So we divide by the the factors that do not match their differentials.

6. Jan 27, 2013 #5
    $$\frac{\mathrm{f}(u)\mathrm{g}(x) \mathrm{dx}+\mathrm{p}(u) \mathrm{q}(x)\mathrm{du}}{\mathrm{f}(u) \mathrm{q}(x)}=\frac{\mathrm{g}(x)}{\mathrm{q}(x)}\mathrm{dx}+\frac{\mathrm{p}(u) }{\mathrm{f}(u)}\mathrm{du}$$

Is the above eq some sort of shortcut that is explained somewhere. I've never seen it in all of the lessons I've read.

I understand how I got to here:
    $$((ux)^2-2x^2)\mathrm{dx}+2x(ux)(x \mathrm{du}+u\mathrm{dx})$$

and how you got from here:
    $$(3u^2-2)(x^2)\mathrm{dx}+(2u)(x^3)\mathrm{du}$$ to the next part but not the step(s) in between. I tried working it out several times but could never separate the variables completely.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  7. Jan 28, 2013 #6

lurflurf

Homework Helper

That is just the separation of variables equation.
    Write the equation in the form of each differential multiplied by a function of each variable, divide by each non-matching function to give each differential multiplied by a matching function.

[tex]((ux)^2-2x^2) \, \mathrm{dx}+2x(ux)(x \, \mathrm{du}+u \, \mathrm{dx})=
    x^2(u^2 -2) \, \mathrm{dx}+2x^2 u(x \, \mathrm{du}+u \, \mathrm{dx})\\
    =x^2(u^2 -2) \, \mathrm{dx}+(2x^2 u)x \, \mathrm{du}+(2x^2 u)u \,\mathrm{dx}\\
    =x^2(u^2 -2+2u^2) \, \mathrm{dx}+2x^3 u \, \mathrm{du} \\
    =(3u^2-2)(x^2) \, \mathrm{dx}+(2u)(x^3) \, \mathrm{du}[/tex]

8. Jan 28, 2013 #7
    thanks. I got it now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook