Finding an implicit solution to this differential equation

In summary: C##. You should get ##x^8 = \frac{1}{1-4u^2}e^A##. You can then merge the constants into one, say ##A = \frac{1}{8}\ln K##.
echomochi

Homework Statement

Find an equation that defines IMPLICITLY the parameterized family of solutions y(x) of the differential equation:
5xy dy/dx = x2 + y2

Homework Equations

y=ux
dy/dx = u+xdu/dx
C as a constant of integration

The Attempt at a Solution

I saw a similar D.E. solved using the y=ux substitution, but using it for mine wasn't as clean, so halfway through I decided to use an integrating factor:

5xy dy/dx = x2 + y2
dy/dx = [ x2 + y2 ] / 5xy
u + x du/dx = [ x2 + u2x2 ] / 5x2u
u + x du/dx = [ 1 + u2 ] / 5u
Divide across by x (and switch the order of the LHS):

du/dx + u/x = [ 1 + u2 ] / 5ux​

Integrating factor: (the integral symbol won't show up in the superscript)

eINT[1/x]dx = eln(x) = x

du/dx ⋅ x + u/x ⋅ x = [ 1 + u2 ] ⋅ x / 5ux
d/dx [ux] = [ 1 + u2 ] / 5u dx
Integrate both sides gets us:

ux = x [ [ 1 + u2 ] / 5u ] + C
After this, it's just cleaning up so the u's are on one side. We get:

u - [ 1 + u2 ] / 5u = C/x
[4u2 - 1] / 5u = C/x
We can now resubstitute the u's for y/x:

[4[y/x]2 - 1] / 5[y/x] = C/x
4y/5x - x/5y = C/x​

After this, I'm pretty stuck. I don't know how to isolate y(x) on one side. If I messed up anywhere, or if there is a much easier way to do this problem that I am ignoring, please let me know! Looking forward to the suggestions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
echomochi said:

Homework Statement

Find an equation that defines IMPLICITLY the parameterized family of solutions y(x) of the differential equation:
5xy dy/dx = x2 + y2

Homework Equations

y=ux
dy/dx = u+xdu/dx
C as a constant of integration

The Attempt at a Solution

I saw a similar D.E. solved using the y=ux substitution, but using it for mine wasn't as clean, so halfway through I decided to use an integrating factor:

5xy dy/dx = x2 + y2
dy/dx = [ x2 + y2 ] / 5xy
u + x du/dx = [ x2 + u2x2 ] / 5x2u
Divide across by x (and switch the order of the LHS):

du/dx + u/x = [ 1 + u2 ] / 5ux​

Integrating factor: (the integral symbol won't show up in the superscript)
Stop right there. This is not a linear DE in u and x because you don't have just x's on the right side. You won't be able to integrate the right side with respect to x because u depends on x. The integrating factor method doesn't apply. But you should be able to separate variables and get an equation in the form ##f(u)du = g(x)dx## which you can hopefully integrate.
Lastly, when you finish, you are asked for an implicit solution so you aren't expected to solve for y.

Likes echomochi
LCKurtz said:
Stop right there. This is not a linear DE in u and x because you don't have just x's on the right side. You won't be able to integrate the right side with respect to x because u depends on x. The integrating factor method doesn't apply. But you should be able to separate variables and get an equation in the form ##f(u)du = g(x)dx## which you can hopefully integrate.
Lastly, when you finish, you are asked for an implicit solution so you aren't expected to solve for y.

Okay, that makes sense.

Going back to before dividing by x:

Subtract the u:

x du/dx = [ 1 - 4u2 ] / 5u
Rearrange to get du and dx on each side:

[ 1/x ] dx = [ 5u / [ 1 - 4u2 ] ] du
Then integrating:

ln( x ) + C = [ -5/8 ] ln( 1-4u2 )​

Raise e to all terms to clear out the logarithms:

eln( x ) + eC = e[ -5/8 ] ln( 1-4u2 )
x + eC = 1 / [ 1-4u2 ]5/8

My professor would want me to rewrite eC as A, and we can rewrite this more:

1 = [ x + A ] [ 1-4u2 ]5/8

Is resubstituting u=y/x all that is left?

echomochi said:
Okay, that makes sense.

Going back to before dividing by x:

Subtract the u:

x du/dx = [ 1 - 4u2 ] / 5u
Rearrange to get du and dx on each side:

[ 1/x ] dx = [ 5u / [ 1 - 4u2 ] ] du
Then integrating:

ln( x ) + C = [ -5/8 ] ln( 1-4u2 )​

Raise e to all terms to clear out the logarithms:

eln( x ) + eC = e[ -5/8 ] ln( 1-4u2 )
x + eC = 1 / [ 1-4u2 ]5/8
Careful with your algebra there. ##e^{\ln x + C}\ne e^{\ln x} + e^C##

Likes echomochi
LCKurtz said:
Careful with your algebra there. ##e^{\ln x + C}\ne e^{\ln x} + e^C##
Ah, right. Thank you for your help!

echomochi said:
Ah, right. Thank you for your help!

The best thanks would be to give your solution. Can you imagine there is much satisfaction to helpers if they give help to guys and don't hear what the effect is?
Also they naturally usually help with only the stage you are at. So by not replying you are missing what they might have said about the solution, e.g. connection with other things.Or in this case the fact that the job is only half finished and you have only have half benefited from the exercise when you have written the solution. ( I've noticed that solutions that satisfy students are often not as good as they imagine.)

You should always check the solution to a differential equation by differentiating your solution and checking that that works. Especially in a case as tricky and unexpected as this one. And you should check any salient features of solutions that the d.e. is already telling you against what your solution equation says. And at least outline here what you find. Preferably a picture of solution curves. Time spent this way will benefit you more in insights than doing an extra problem of the same kind.

Last edited:

1. What is an implicit solution to a differential equation?

An implicit solution to a differential equation is a general equation that expresses the relationship between the dependent and independent variables without explicitly solving for the dependent variable in terms of the independent variable. It is often represented as an equation with both the dependent and independent variables on the same side, rather than in the form of y = f(x).

2. Why is finding an implicit solution important?

Finding an implicit solution is important because it allows us to express the relationship between variables in a more general form, without having to solve for the dependent variable. This can be useful in situations where an explicit solution is difficult or impossible to find, or when we want to analyze the behavior of the solution without knowing its exact form.

3. How do you find an implicit solution to a differential equation?

The process of finding an implicit solution to a differential equation involves manipulating the equation algebraically to eliminate the derivative and express the relationship between variables in a general form. This may involve using techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integration.

4. Can all differential equations be solved implicitly?

No, not all differential equations can be solved implicitly. Some equations may not have an implicit solution, while others may require advanced techniques that are not always applicable. It is important to carefully consider the characteristics of the differential equation before attempting to find an implicit solution.

5. How do you know if an implicit solution is correct?

To check if an implicit solution is correct, you can substitute it back into the original differential equation and see if it satisfies the equation for all values of the independent variable. You can also use numerical methods to approximate the solution and compare it to the implicit solution. Additionally, you can verify the solution by graphing it and checking if it matches the behavior of the differential equation.