Students Cheating from Past Exams

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student who recently found out that their classmates cheated throughout the semester by using old exams and quizzes that are recycled by the professor. This raises concerns about the academic integrity of the class and whether this is a common practice among students. Some argue that it is not cheating as the information was obtained through legal means, while others believe it goes against university policies and morals. The use of old exams by professors is also discussed, with some seeing it as a way to catch cheaters and others questioning its fairness. Ultimately, it is important to establish the university's policies on old exams and the definition of cheating before determining if any misconduct occurred.
Anonymous_
Hello, I just recently found out that my classmates cheated throughout the semester by passing around old exams and quizzes. This semester is over but it turns out that the professor recycles old exams and quizzes year after year. He’s too lazy to change them. What I was wondering is if this is anything new to you guys? I was sickened by this because this means many of these people in my class also cheated throughout all their calculus courses because this is an advanced physics class where you need to have taken diff eq and calculus 2.

Any thoughts on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anonymous_ said:
Hello, I just recently found out that my classmates cheated throughout the semester by passing around old exams and quizzes. This semester is over but it turns out that the professor recycles old exams and quizzes year after year. He’s too lazy to change them. What I was wondering is if this is anything new to you guys? I was sickened by this because this means many of these people in my class also cheated throughout all their calculus courses because this is an advanced physics class where you need to have taken diff eq and calculus 2.

Any thoughts on this?
Also, when I say "Classmates", I mean more than half of the class. About 80%.

One of my professors also used past exams but we all knew that he did so there was no advantage. He knew we knew and the questions where not easy and his grading was exceedingly strict. I personally do not approve of this method.

Anonymous_ said:

Any thoughts on this?
Those students seem to have just used available resources to prepare and to help study. If you also passed, C or better, then you win.

Likes atyy
Anonymous_ said:
Hello, I just recently found out that my classmates cheated throughout the semester by passing around old exams and quizzes.
How is that cheating? They obtained information through fully open and legal means. Life is an open book test. Get over it.

Likes atyy
This would be a violation of many schools academic integrity policy and hopefully your own morals.

symbolipoint said:
Those students seem to have just used available resources to prepare and to help study. If you also passed, C or better, then you win.
phinds said:
How is that cheating? They obtained information through fully open and legal means. Life is an open book test. Get over it.

Anonymous_ said:
Any thoughts on this?

I often recycle questions with minor changes to numerical quantities for the exact reason you state- it helps me find cheaters b/c those students are too lazy to check their answer.

Likes DEvens and symbolipoint
NotGauss said:
This would be a violation of many schools academic integrity policy and hopefully your own morals.

I wasn’t cheating

Likes symbolipoint
First of all, it needs to be established that it is actually cheating: What is the policy of your university regarding the availability of old exams? What is the university policy regarding re-giving the same exam over and over? What is the university's definition of cheating in an exam?

Without specifying these, in particular if you do not know them, we cannot establish that cheating has taken place, which to me seems to be the first thing to do in this situation.

For example, in my country (Sweden), most universities are state institutions, which means that they have to follow the principle of public access to official records - that includes old exams. A student (or anyone else for that matter) can get hold of old exams simply by asking the university for them. They can even get access to (anonymised) student solutions to the exams. They can go to the course office and ask for "5 student solutions for course X that was graded with the top grade" and they will get it (for a minor administrative fee). Some teachers here still give the same exam problems or slightly modified exam problems year after year, but in no way is a student here cheating if they ask to get copies of the exam. Of course, bringing these copies to the exam would be cheating (in most cases).

Likes atyy, Vanadium 50 and phinds
Anonymous_ said:
I wasn’t cheating
And you have not established that anyone else was either.

Orodruin said:
First of all, it needs to be established that it is actually cheating
what he said (very small).jpg

Likes atyy
A lot of schools keep records of past exams. It's not considered cheating to read them.

Specifics aside, there isn't much point in worrying about other people cheating. It's going to happen, and not all of them will get caught.

But what will happen is that the cheating student who didn't get caught will have to live with all the stress of not having earned the position they're in. Eventually they will realize that the material is cumulative and they don't understand any of it and will have to drop out of the program. Even worse, they just might keep going until they're in a situation like a candidacy exam or a thesis defence where they can't cheat and end up in a flaming spiral of academic death.

Work hard.

Don't cheat yourself.

Learn very well the rules of the game.

Likes DEvens, vela and Vanadium 50
Anonymous_ said:

Any thoughts on this?
Hey, cmon, do you really care about that? Only our Goddess Physica should bother you.

Yes, people cheat.
Life sucks and then you die...

1. How common is student cheating from past exams?

The prevalence of cheating from past exams varies depending on the specific academic institution and course. However, studies have shown that a significant percentage of students admit to cheating at least once during their academic career.

2. What are the consequences of students cheating from past exams?

The consequences of cheating from past exams can range from receiving a failing grade on the exam or assignment, to being expelled from the academic institution. In addition, it can damage a student's academic integrity and reputation.

3. What motivates students to cheat from past exams?

There are various reasons why students may be motivated to cheat from past exams. These can include pressure to maintain high grades, lack of preparation or understanding of the material, and fear of failure. In some cases, students may also feel that cheating is the only way to keep up with their peers.

4. How can academic institutions prevent students from cheating from past exams?

There are several measures that academic institutions can take to prevent students from cheating from past exams. These can include implementing stricter proctoring procedures, using plagiarism detection software, and creating unique exam questions for each student.

5. What can be done to discourage students from cheating from past exams?

To discourage students from cheating from past exams, it is important for academic institutions to promote a culture of academic honesty and integrity. This can be achieved through education and awareness campaigns, as well as creating a supportive and fair learning environment where students feel motivated to succeed without resorting to cheating.