Studying habits and sticking to them.

• Studying
  • Thread starter Generator Gawl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Studying
In summary: I'm not sure what you mean by "...lacking the resources and opportunity to get met into the physics community...".since as a physics student you are in a part of that community. If you have a "passion for Physics" then I don't see the issue of sticking with study habits. unless my concept of passion is different from yours..If you are not taking any physics courses, you will need to take some before transferring to a 4-year university.
Generator Gawl
Hello all. Getting straight to the point, I am 23 and still a freshman in college due to military and other jobs. I have a passion for physics and have an easy time understanding concepts, as well as understanding math despite failing math many times growing up. One area I am lacking is resources and opportunities to get me into the physics community and make use of my time. Another area I'm having a hard time with is self-discipline, being able to stick with my study habits and better utilize my time rather than wasting my life away playing some useless video games. I feel I know the answers to my questions, but I figured I'd consult the minds on PF and most likely get better answers than I have. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by "...lacking the resources and opportunity to get met into the physics community...".since as a physics student you are in a part of that community. If you have a "passion for Physics" then I don't see the issue of sticking with study habits. unless my concept of passion is different from yours..

People with interest in higher education in my area is rare, let alone physics majors. Since I've never taken a physics class, all of my studying is out of class and on my own.

From your OP is assumed you are a Physics major or will be at some point.

It's official on my transcript but with no official knowledge from the classroom, I've nothing to contribute except outside experience. As for study habits, my motivation is severely lacking. My interest in physics is good, but outside of that, there's little support and many distractions and annoyances from family and friends. That's why I've posted this here.

Are you a college student or community college student yet? Either you make the right study habits or you not make them. Start with enrollment into Mathematics and Physics courses, and study. There you go: you become part of the Physics community. Study regularly and carefully. There you go some more: You learn Mathematics and Physics, and can continue.

Likes Generator Gawl
I presume you are not taking any physics courses because you are making up some academic deficiencies. You will take physics courses won't you?

If you mean your motivation is lacking in the non physics curriculum then you are not alone. I merely tolerated my liberal arts course. I have come to realize that I have had some sort of reading issue which challenged my ability to keep up in some of those courses.

As far as distractions are concerned I found that certain locations were difficult to study in. Home was one of them. I was a resident student so being home was only an occasional problem. Have you considered studying in a library, the schools or a public one? or in a vacant classroom if available. I found that being away from places that I had associated with every day activities was my solution.

I'm in community college, yes. Just finished algebra and starting precalc. I think what I mentioned to say is be am active part of the physics community. Our science community is probably about 5 strong at my college, none interested in physics, so I've got nobody to share thoughts with. I've also had trouble finding out about the constants used in physics. Any knowledge on where to find those?

gleem said:
If you have a "passion for Physics" then I don't see the issue of sticking with study habits. unless my concept of passion is different from yours..

You mean you have been personally fascinated and intrigued with every part of physics that you have studied thus far and had no issues with motivation? If so, great for you, you are alone.

To the OP: It can be very frustrating wanting to study physics but with no community to do so! I presume that you will be transferring to a 4-year university to begin a physics degree?

Likes Generator Gawl
Find out who teaches general physics, introduce yourself and explain your needs.

Likes Generator Gawl
gleem said:
Find out who teaches general physics, introduce yourself and explain your needs.

Unfortunately most community colleges are primarily composed of adjunct faculty. OP's best bet may be to contact the 4-year university (either one nearby, or one that you are thinking of transferring to), and asking about research opportunities. Or just go to their physics club or similar event.

You can join the astronomy club or physics club at school. That is one way to get involved in the Physics community at school.

Dishsoap, I'll be doing my AS at community college and looking to transfer. Gleem, such an obvious piece of advice but excellent it is. I just hope they don't see me as a waste of time.

Does your current community college have any Physics courses to offer? Does it offer the Physics series for science & engineering students? If so, how is the listed course descriptions? Equipped for lab sections? The professors or teachers regular employees or only "adjuncts"?

Generator Gawl said:
Dishsoap, I'll be doing my AS at community college and looking to transfer. Gleem, such an obvious piece of advice but excellent it is. I just hope they don't see me as a waste of time.

Is there a 4-year university nearby? We did have one fella in my group in undergrad who was in high school, I doubt they'd say no to taking on someone from a community college if they were planning on transferring.

What are some effective studying habits?

Effective studying habits include creating a study schedule, setting specific goals, staying organized, taking breaks, and actively engaging with the material.

How can I stick to my studying habits?

To stick to your studying habits, it is important to stay motivated, hold yourself accountable, and track your progress. You can also try studying with a partner or joining a study group for added support.

What are some common challenges when trying to stick to studying habits?

Some common challenges when trying to stick to studying habits include procrastination, distractions, lack of motivation, and feeling overwhelmed. It is important to identify these challenges and find ways to overcome them.

How long does it take to form a new studying habit?

The time it takes to form a new studying habit can vary for each individual, but on average it takes about 21 days. It is important to stay consistent and committed during this time in order to successfully form a new habit.

How can I improve my studying habits?

You can improve your studying habits by regularly evaluating your current habits and making necessary adjustments. Additionally, seek out resources or guidance from teachers or academic advisors to learn new strategies and techniques for studying effectively.