Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subgroup wth morphism into itself

1. Jul 4, 2009 #1
    Hello,
    given a (semi)group [tex]A[/tex] and a sub-(semi)group [tex]S\leq A[/tex], I want to define a morphism [tex]f:A\rightarrow A[/tex] such that [tex]f(s)\in S[/tex], for every [tex]s \in S[/tex].
    Essentially it is an ordinary morphism, but for the elements in [tex]S[/tex] it has to behave as an endomorphism.
    Is this a known concept? does it have already a name? or can it be expressed more compactly?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2009 #2
    I've not heard of such a morphism. But note that I'm not a seasoned mathematician. I'm just curious about what you would like to show. Of course, the identity mapping restricted to S would be an example of the kind of mapping that you want to construct.

Are you trying to make an analogue of ideals for rings?

4. Jul 6, 2009 #3
    ...it seems, the example you gave of a "homomorphism on S which behaves as an identity-mapping on an ideal K" has in fact a name: retract homomorphism

see: http://books.google.fi/books?id=Bmy...o7jJBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4

What I want to achieve is slightly weaker:
    I want to define a homomorphism [tex]f:S\rightarrow S[/tex] on a semigroup [tex](S,*)[/tex] such that for a given sub-semigroup K of S, one has [tex]x*f(x)=k[/tex] (for every [tex]x\in K[/tex]) where k is a fixed element (not necessarily the identity). Note that if k was the identity f would be the inversion operator.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook