Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Subgroups of Symmetric and Dihedral groups

1. Jun 4, 2015 #1
    I am having problem working with the objects in the title. Working with permutations, rotations and reflections is fine, but I have problem with the following:

Showing a subgroup is or is not normal (usually worse in the case of symmetric groups)

Finding a subgroup of order n.

Showing that there is no subgroup of order n.

I cannot remember encountering many exercises that helped me learn to work with subgroups of symmetric and dihedral groups. Are there any strategies I can follow, and, even better, any sets of exercises anybody here recommends?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Jun 10, 2015 #3
    My exams are over, and luckily, I didn't need much about this topic. Also, I guess my questions above were too broad.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook