Subtracting any finite quantity from an infinite quantity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of infinity and how it relates to subtracting a finite amount from an infinite amount. The participants also touch on the idea of time and whether it can be considered infinite. However, the conversation becomes vague and requires better definitions of terms such as "creating" and "adding" in order to make a clear argument.
Nick666
Between a finite amount of x and in infinite amount of x, is there an infinite amount of x ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is that supposed to mean?

If you substract a finite amount of apples from an infinite amount of apples, what's the result? Infinite amount of apples ?

Ok, too simple maybe. Replace apples with time.

Last edited:
Nick666 said:
If you substract a finite amount of apples from an infinite amount of apples, what's the result?

You mean: [tex]a - \infty , \ \ \ \mbox{where } a \neq \infty[/tex]. Right?

Infinite amount of apples ?

Well, you are closed, it's negative infinity: [tex]a - \infty = - \infty , \ \ \ \mbox{where } a \neq \infty[/tex]
Ok, too simple maybe. Replace apples with time.

Err, not sure what you mean here. =.="

Subtracting any finite quantity from an infinite quantity, yields an infinite quantity. Such is the definition of infinity.

Including time?

The other way around vietdao.

Well, what's the difference with time?

Dont know ...just asking.

So let's say a thing has been there forever, a dog for example.

That would mean he`s been there for an infinite amount of time.

If the dog creates something that is finite in time (a big poo, haha, maybe you see the analogies) it means that an infinite amount of time passed before he created the thing. ... ?

You are going to have to define your terms better. "Infinity" is not a member of the real numbers and ordinary arithmetic does not apply to it. There are a number of different ways of defining a system that includes all real numbers and "infinity". For most of those, I think [itex]\infty- x= \infty[/itex] for any real number x but I can't be certain about all.

As for "an infinite amount of apples" or "an infinite amount of time", as soon as you substitute a specific thing for "x", it stops being a mathematics question and becomes a physics question (maybe botany for apples?) and the answer would be that "an infinite amount of apples" or "an infinite amount of time" do not exist.

Echoing what Hallsofivy just said, there's no poo-poo time after infinite time :biggrin:

arunbg said:
Echoing what Hallsofivy just said, there's no poo-poo time after infinite time :biggrin:
Yeah, that's exactly what I`m thinking about.

But am I wrong in my assumptions cause of the fact that I can't say there`s infinite time? Infinite time doesn't exist? Why? Cant I assume it exists?

So, after all, if I assume infinite time exists, is it nonsense in a mathematical way, to say that something infinite in time created at some point something finite in time, right?

Nick666 said:
So, after all, if I assume infinite time exists, is it nonsense in a mathematical way, to say that something infinite in time created at some point something finite in time, right?
If you attribute no physical reality to time, I think your statement is equivalent to asking whether you can have an interval of finite numbers on an infinite number line. The answer is obviously yes.
However once you attribute ideas like "creating" a finite element from infinity, then you become vague. Again you will have to define these terms better.

Well, replace create with add.

How does one know he added a finite number to infinity, if the result is ...the same infinity ... ?

Are you talking about physics (time) or are you talking about mathematics? If you are talking about physical time, then, no, you can't just assume infinite time exists- either it does or it doesn't, there is no "assuming".

If you are talking about mathematics, then you should be aware that there are a number of different ways of defining "infinite"- you haven't defined how you are using the term.

1. What does it mean to subtract a finite quantity from an infinite quantity?

Subtracting a finite quantity from an infinite quantity means to take away a specific number or amount from a value that has no limit or is endless. This can also be thought of as finding the difference between two quantities, where one is infinitely larger than the other.

2. Can you give an example of subtracting a finite quantity from an infinite quantity?

One example of subtracting a finite quantity from an infinite quantity is the concept of subtracting infinity from infinity. For instance, if we have the equation ∞ - 3, we can interpret this as an infinite quantity minus a finite quantity of 3, resulting in an infinite quantity as the answer.

3. Is the result always infinite when subtracting a finite quantity from an infinite quantity?

In most cases, the result will be infinite when subtracting a finite quantity from an infinite quantity. However, there are some scenarios where the result may be a finite number. For example, if we have the equation ∞ - ∞, the result would be undefined rather than infinite.

4. How does subtracting a finite quantity from an infinite quantity relate to limits?

Subtracting a finite quantity from an infinite quantity is closely related to the concept of limits in mathematics. When we take the limit of a function as the input approaches infinity, we are essentially subtracting an infinite quantity from another infinite quantity to get a finite result.

5. Can subtracting a finite quantity from an infinite quantity be used in practical applications?

Yes, subtracting a finite quantity from an infinite quantity can be used in practical applications such as calculus, physics, and engineering. For example, when calculating the velocity of an object as it approaches infinity, we are essentially subtracting a finite quantity (the object's initial velocity) from an infinite quantity (the velocity at infinity) to determine the object's final velocity.