1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Succeeding in physics without having physics major And powerful math

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    Hi folks ,

I want to know could a guy succeed In Physic Without Having Physic Major And Powerful Math ?

I like physic but because of not having powerful math and physic ، and my family opinions I'm learning biology( But I like biology too )

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2012 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Succeeding In Physic Without Having Physic Major And Powerful Math

Well, I guess that depends on what your definition of "succeeding" is. You may be able to learn some basic physics concepts without knowing math, but you could never become an actual physicist.

4. Mar 1, 2012 #3

How can I become an actual physicist ?
    Is it mandatory to have the same major ?
    Can I learn biology and physic simultaneously ?

5. Mar 1, 2012 #4

Well the simple answer is, not really. You need mathematics there's no way to hide from it if you wish to learn physics. If you wish to truely understand principles you need mathematics...it's not that big of a deal.

If you've never been good at mathematics start from the start....

Now to become a physicist does requires a major in physics (usually or something very similar)

6. Mar 1, 2012 #5

Yeah, it can be done, if you are willing to learn more math.

Take a full calculus sequence, linear algebra and differential equations.

Specialize in biophysics.

7. Mar 1, 2012 #6
    You can always pursue physics as a hobby, take the hobby as far as you can without the math background.

8. Mar 1, 2012 #7

You don't necissarily need to have a degree to be a physicist, take George Green for example.
    Now a days it is pretty hard to do anything without a degree however.

You need maths to describe things, without maths you can't describe things, physics is the science of describing nature, so yes, you need maths.

potentially this

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook